Plum Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc_Hillerman

Reaction score
So I'm making a plum wine chapitalized with corn sugar, a 6 gallon / 23 litre batch. I've actually made three batches this year, and added differing amounts of sugar. First 5kg, then 6, and now 7. The batches with 5 and 6kg fermented below .995 as I thought they might. I knew 7kg might be pushing it - SG was 1.119. I've got it down around 1.001 now, but the (champagne) yeast have just about had it and fermentation has slowed to a crawl. I knew this might end up sweet, which I can deal with, but I'm hoping it's not at, say, a Manischewitz level of sweetness. I've made quite a few wines, but none that have tapped out above 1.000. Does anyone have experience with a final gravity around that level? Will it be very sweet, or just a little off-dry? I can leave it in the carboy longer, but there might be diminishing returns. Thanks!

Back