Plum wine ferment did not start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feffer

Reaction score
I added yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvee) + Go-Ferm (a yeast nutrient) to the plum must about 16 hours ago, but nothing seems to be happening. Last year, I made a batch with a very simple recipe using boiled plums, sugar and grocery store yeast, and as I recall it began to froth very quickly. From another post here, I'm guessing I might have damaged the yeast because I added pectic enzyme about the same time. How soon should frothing activity start after adding the yeast to the must? Should I still wait for it? Or should I re-add yeast? If so, should I do it the same way as I did initially?

thx,
feffer

I added yeast (Red Star Premier Cuvee) + Go-Ferm (a yeast nutrient) to the plum must about 16 hours ago, but nothing seems to be happening. Last year, I made a batch with a very simple recipe using boiled plums, sugar and grocery store yeast, and as I recall it began to froth very quickly. From another post here, I'm guessing I might have damaged the yeast because I added pectic enzyme about the same time. How soon should frothing activity start after adding the yeast to the must? Should I still wait for it? Or should I re-add yeast? If so, should I do it the same way as I did initially?

thx,
feffer

It really depends on so many things- for one, the OG (original gravity) of the must, the health of the yeast, the ingredients.

I'd say that you should expect fermentation to start up within three days or so. Stir the must well a couple of times a day until fermentation really takes off.

@Yooper: After getting your reply, I stirred the must, clamped the lid down tight, and put an airlock in. Not a single bubble! Should I still wait?

thx,
feffer

Back