plugging a hole in a glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, apparently I'm getting a lot of crap over here. Let me clear things up.
I tied a long peice of dental floss to the bolt, with the washer on it. I dropped the floss into the main hole, then hooked it through the smaller drilled holes with a bike wheel spoke. then pulled the bolt through. It's really not all that hard. There are no cracks in the carboy. I drilled it with a glass drill bit. It has held 2 batches with no leaks, no cracks. I am a little worried about sanitizing it though, since it is currently empty, waiting for another batch. I'll probably undo the bolts and clean it before the next batch goes it. It has also held up well even after I have moved it up and downstairs several times ( full). Sorry if anyone is disappointed that nothing dramatic has happened.

Nah, no one is disappointed at all. Everyone was just having a bit of fun.... unfortunately seemingly at your expense. Trust me, it was all in good fun.
Glad it has worked out for you. But you still might consider replacing that thing at the first available opportunity with a Better Bottle. Just to be on the safe side.

I understand. It just will pain me to throw away a perfect GLASS carboy, that I destroyed years ago because I was ignorant and wanted a cool looking fishtank (the fish died too)

Back