Plug large hole in brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teesherv

Reaction score
I have a large hole from an electric element in my old aluminum brew pot. I want to pass this pot on to a propane brewer, so I need to fill the hole.
To plug smaller bulkheads, it's a simple matter of a 1/2 inch hex bolt, washer, and nut with a silicone washer.
For this much larger hole, I am finding it hard to source the parts, especially the washer. HBT gurus, help me out! Someone has answer!

Is it a tri-clamp fitting? if so that make a filler plate that will clamp on.

If not, you may be able to put a tri-clamp bulkhead in the hole and then the plate. But new owner may want to shild that spot fro direct flame

Is it a tri-clamp fitting? if so that make a filler plate that will clamp on.

If not, you may be able to put a tri-clamp bulkhead in the hole and then the plate. But new owner may want to shild that spot fro direct flame
Good idea, but it's just a 1.25 inch hole, not a TC fitting. I did look at a TC bulkhead and plate but was hoping for a cheaper option. There may not be one....

You might consider a pair of stainless steel fender washers. They are thinner than standard washers, with much larger outside diameter. Use a stainless nut and bolt, with an infill of J B Weld or similar food safe epoxy, and you are done.

Brewhardware.com will have the pieces to plug the hole. It will cost a few bucks, so perhaps the best future use of the kettle is E-brewing.

I appreciate all of your suggestions and replies. After looking into trying it on my own (good links and suggestions here) I'm gonna hit up Bobby at brewhardware. I've done business with him before and he's super helpful. I'll report back.

It appears I was thinking about this way too hard. According to brewhardware:
Use a 1"npt plug in the same position as the element used to be in. Oring and locknut inside the pot.
Gonna order what I need and fix it up on the cheap!

I heard a radio ad yesterday, for a radiator repair shop. They specifically mentioned aluminum TIG welding. Radiator tanks are really thin, so ....

Back