Pliny the Elder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrich007

Reaction score
So it's 18 degrees outside and here I am brewing (man I must love beer) but today when my pliney kit got delivered and I got a look at all those hops I couldn't help myself . Mashed for 75 mins now mid boil I can't wait to try this . Thanks to my good friend John Rocco at farmhouse brewing

jrich007 said:
So it's 18 degrees outside and here I am brewing (man I must love beer) but today when my pliney kit got delivered and I got a look at all those hops I couldn't help myself . Mashed for 75 mins now mid boil I can't wait to try this . Thanks to my good friend John Rocco at farmhouse brewing

Have you tried the real one? Wow what a great brew! Have fun!

I have. My sister goes out west every couple months and brings me a pliney and a blind pig both fantastic beers. I just hope I come close . Cheers

How long do you have to let it condition for? I have heard great things about the kits (not sure if it is the same one you have), but I have seen great reviews. I hope one day I can get my hands on the real thing. Been thinking about brewing this myself. Keep us posted! Hope it turns out great.

Thank you so much for this post! I have been trying to watch their site for when this came back in stock. I saw your post and immediately put my order in. Thank goodness I didn't miss it this year!

I just brewed it recently. It's still in a fermenter right now, awaiting it's turn in a keg. I did an all grain version, OG was 1.074.

I am pretty confident that its gonna be amazing. OG was 1.082 before I had to add almost a gallon of top off water (tons of hop sludge) . Rehydrated 2 packs of us 05 and am expecting to wake up to a sweet bubbling harmony . Glad you ordered off farmhouse , not only is he a good friend of mine but he is also a great source for all homebrew supplies and ingredients.

I was at his store today and got the piny elder hops and he did a black version of it I will be brewing tomorrow it will be very cold in Wi.

I'd love to brew this one day. I just came from Russian River Brewery and brought back two growlers and another of Blind Pig! Can't wait to go back in a week for Pliny the Younger. I'm enjoying a glass right now. So good!!!

Brewing this right now. I've never had Russian River since we don't get it here in Arizona and I've always wanted to try it. I guess I'll settle for the clone. Man oh man was this recipe expensive. I spent just as much on hops that I normally spend on all the ingredients of my recipes lol.

Just took a gravity reading and it went down to 1.015 from 1.078 . 8.2% awesome . Ill wait a few more days and start dryhopping. Sample was amazing

Just kegged mine tonite. 1.074 to 1.008 and it tastes like a ton of hops had a party on my palate.

I made an AG version of PTE this past week, but I worked off of the recipe I found online by Vinnie. The only issue that I had was my efficiency was way off and only ended at 1.056, so if I can get the final gravity at 1.010 I will be happy with an almost 6% abv brew. I don't mind it being a lower gravity beer, as long as it tastes good, and at just under 6%, that means I can drink more of it in one sitting!

Just pulled the trigger and ordered the PTE hop pack from Farmhouse. I am pretty darn excited. I already have 2-row, C40, and carapils in stock. I just need to pick up some corn sugar. I managed to track down two bottles this summer on a trip to L.A. The liquor store I went to in Hermosa Beach tried to only sell me one because I wasn't a local regular, but after I agreed to purchase several other styles and some wine would they let me purchase two.

I dry hopped in primary . I am going to cold crash for a few days to clear it up before I keg

HH60gunner said:
Are you guys dry hopping right in the primary or racking to a secondary to dry hop?

Do it in the secondary after the yeast has dropped in the primary. PTE and PTY both have dry hop additions after the beer is off the yeast. PTE is dry hopped twice with both additions being after the beer has cleared.. so rack, dry hop 2 weeks total. At 9 days in on the first dry hop you hop again. To make 14 days of dry hop. This technique is key I feel but it does add some hassle Cheers!

Ondori said:
How long do you have to let it condition for? I have heard great things about the kits (not sure if it is the same one you have), but I have seen great reviews. I hope one day I can get my hands on the real thing. Been thinking about brewing this myself. Keep us posted! Hope it turns out great.

You don't want to "condition" this beer as it begins losing its hop character quickly. PtE bottles even have a note to this effect on them. So once fermentation is complete, start the dry hop (I think it is 2 dry hop additions over 14 days) and try to package and serve immediately.

I have mine dry hopping in the secondary. So far, it looks great, color seems to be spot on. Second dry hop addition in a week, then I will bottle condition for 4 weeks. Even though I don't keg, I will have to play the waiting game for the bottles to carb.

Do it in the secondary after the yeast has dropped in the primary. PTE and PTY both have dry hop additions after the beer is off the yeast. PTE is dry hopped twice with both additions being after the beer has cleared.. so rack, dry hop 2 weeks total. At 9 days in on the first dry hop you hop again. To make 14 days of dry hop. This technique is key I feel but it does add some hassle Cheers!

Question about this dry hopping technique. Do you remove your first dry hop addition before adding the second addition? I usually use muslin socks to dry hop with so it would be easy to remove the first addition before adding the second addtion.

I want to eventually brew this recipe, but it won't be for a while...

MMJfan said:
Question about this dry hopping technique. Do you remove your first dry hop addition before adding the second addition? I usually use muslin socks to dry hop with so it would be easy to remove the first addition before adding the second addtion.

I want to eventually brew this recipe, but it won't be for a while...

Not supposed to.. Unless you have a way of getting 12-14 days on the first dry hop and then 5 days on the second. But the way they do it at RRB is they rack the beer off the yeast. then add the first dry hop addition. Around 9 days they pump CO2 from the bottom to aggiate/mix the hops up and then add the second dry hop. After 5 more days (12-14 days total) they rcak off the hops and package into CO2 purged kegs to protect the aroma. hope that helps

Back