Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanBeerOrTwo

Reaction score
Gonna brew a Pliny the Elder clone today using a kit bought from MoreBeer! Anyone who has brewed this have any tips or suggestions?

-Boil as much wort as you can cool effectively.

- definetly do the late extract addition (1/3rd of he extract at beginning of boil, and add the rest at 10-15 minutes)

- if it were my beer, I'd hop stand the flameout addition. I do this by killing the flame, start a gentle whirpool with a sanitary spoon for +- 30 sec and THEN toss in flameout addition and steep for 30 minutes prior to chilling. It adds some time to brew day, but it's absolutely worth it IMO.
- pitch plenty of yeast and use o2 or shake vigorously if you don't have a pure o2 setup.

Enjoy.

JuanBeerOrTwo said:
Gonna brew a Pliny the Elder clone today using a kit bought from MoreBeer! Anyone who has brewed this have any tips or suggestions?

I brewed a clone recipe. Make sure that you bag the hops. That amount can clog a keg easily even after secondary fermenting. What was the cost of your kit? Did it include the yeast?

Due to circumstances I wasn't able to brew today so it'll have to wait til next weekend. The kit was $49.95 and I had to buy the yeast seperate, I went with White Labs WLP001 California Ale. I will be using nylon mesh bags I have for steeping the grains and hop additions

Make sure to be orginized. there are soo many hop additions at different times. You should be making a nice starter for this bad boy. Add some yeast nutrient if you have some.
I agree with everything duckmanco said.
If I had to do it over again, I would have used pure o2 (Didn't have it at that time), and added the sugar in a boiled and cooled solution right when fermentation starts to slow to drive the yeast to get it to dry out more.
I also would have tossed the dry hops in loose instead of useing a bag.
oh and use a blow off tube instead of an airlock for the first 3-4 days.

Back