Pliny in Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
In my new found quest to see if the one double IPA I enjoyed was a fluke or if there are more out there, I made a trip to the State Liquor Store. Yes, Utah is one of the dumb states where if you want anything over 3.2%, you have to go to a state owned liquor store. I guess government run liquor stores aren't "communist".

Anyway, when I got there I discovered that no Russian River beers are sold in the entire state. So I couldn't pick up a Pliny the Elder to sample.

So I got online and put in a special order through DABC. I can't order less than a case at a time. I'm not sure if that means 24, 36, or 48.

Anyone in the SLC area who wants to split the order let me know. It will take a minimum 45 days for it to come in. I have no idea on the price yet.

In my new found quest to see if the one double IPA I enjoyed was a fluke or if there are more out there, I made a trip to the State Liquor Store. Yes, Utah is one of the dumb states where if you want anything over 3.2%, you have to go to a state owned liquor store. I guess government run liquor stores aren't "communist".

Anyway, when I got there I discovered that no Russian River beers are sold in the entire state. So I couldn't pick up a Pliny the Elder to sample.

So I got online and put in a special order through DABC. I can't order less than a case at a time. I'm not sure if that means 24, 36, or 48.

Anyone in the SLC area who wants to split the order let me know. It will take a minimum 45 days for it to come in. I have no idea on the price yet.
You still looking for Pliny?

LOL, not as dead as this thread was.

I don’t post, brew, or drink nearly as much as I did back in the day.

I moved to the San Juans 8 years ago and then the Seattle area a few years after that. The upshot is obtaining not-IPAs is now tougher than obtaining IIPAs.

Having been to RR and tasted my share of them, I would go towards Blind Pig before Pliny. I had another one that the name escapes me. It was really good, but be damned if I can find it locally in bottles. Either way, if you are ever in the Santa Rosa or Windsor area, you should check them out. They have some good food and a nice place to have a bite and grab a pint. Rock On!!!!!!!

Nice. I’ll make note of that.

Sooner or later, I’ll be driving through the area. My old man just moved to SoCal and when I make the road trip to see him, we’ll probably pass through San Francisco for fun.

Having been to RR and tasted my share of them, I would go towards Blind Pig before Pliny. I had another one that the name escapes me. It was really good, but be damned if I can find it locally in bottles. Either way, if you are ever in the Santa Rosa or Windsor area, you should check them out. They have some good food and a nice place to have a bite and grab a pint. Rock On!!!!!!!

We were traveling one week and my wife was wearing her Russian River Brewing shirt, and a guy asked if she ever had Pliny. She gave him the most "beer geek" answer ever without even realizing it.

"Yeah, I've had Pliny, but I really liked Blind Pig better."

We were traveling one week and my wife was wearing her Russian River Brewing shirt, and a guy asked if she ever had Pliny. She gave him the most "beer geek" answer ever without even realizing it.

She is a keeper. LOL. I have to say that Blind Pig is one of my faves.

Nice. I’ll make note of that.

Sooner or later, I’ll be driving through the area. My old man just moved to SoCal and when I make the road trip to see him, we’ll probably pass through San Francisco for fun.
If you ever do, give me a holler. I am always up for a road trip to RR. There are some cool breweries in San Francisco and around the area as well.

Your wife have a sister? Asking for a friend, of course.

Back