Please tell me all is not lost!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheapspkrs111

Reaction score
I brewed a partial mash today. All was going very well. I chilled wort in a ice bath very quickly down to 100 degrees. I ptched my liquid yeast.......and looked up and saw my LME and DME still sitting on the table!!!! I just spent an hour boiling hops and the liquid from the 5 lbs of grain I had! Very quickly while the wort (if you can call it that) was still warm at 100 degrees I stirred it all in. Is this a lost cause? Everything dissolved well but obviously I didn't get that hour long boil on it. CRAP. CRAP. CRAP. DAMN DISTRACTING TRICK OR TREATERS!!!!!!!! Tell me I'm O.K. please.:(:mad::(:(

keep the wort and see what happens. you may of gotten lucky. the beer will probably be significantly more bitter than you expected.

Yeah, might be a little hoppier than expected, but it should still be beer. I generally do my boil with my runnings from my mash and add my extract at the end of the boil.

yes.....is that not good? My last partial had that in the instructions...just verified....this one was made up so i had no instructions. I just reused the pitching instructions from my last partial bought from northern brewer.

nice. Thanks.

Sorry, but @ 100 degrees you may have killed the yeast. Also, you should pitch at, or slightly below your optimal fermenting temp. When the yeast are pitched warm, while they are reproducing, they will through off flavors. Another problem with fermenting warm is the production of fusel alcohols.

So banana, thinner.

I'd try to cool it down to 65+/- asap and hope for the best.

Bull

WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast
Saisons, Belgian Ales, Belgian Reds, Belgian Browns, and White beers are just a few of the classic Belgian beer styles that can be created with this yeast strain. Phenolic and spicy flavors dominate the profile, with less fruitiness then WLP500.
Attenuation: 78-85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78°F
(20-26°C)

So the bad news is that the yeast cells are probably dead.
The good news is that they likely died before they could make too many "too hot" off flavors.

What I would do man is get another vial of yeast and pitch it once the carboy is cool.
All is not lost! Don't dump it!

Don't dump. Repitch. Prepare to age that for some time though. Dry yeast could be an option to reduce lag time (you will need a starter for liquid, dry you can just rehydrate and pitch).

the yeast are not dead they can survive 100F temps. but i do agree that you should cool your wort to under 80 before aerating and pitching and that you should get it to as close to the fermentation temp as possible to prevent off flavors.

Yeast is not dead, it was probably pretty happy getting started at 100°. While the yeast got a nice warm start, get your fermentation temperature down for the rest of the yeast party.

You will end up with beer. It may not be exactly the beer you were going for but it will be beer. :)

This was the first time I used a better bottle for my primary. Yesterday....Nothing. Today when I came home from work it actually looked like a snow globe. There is soooooooo much yeast and I can't believe the movement. It actually looks like a snow globe. I am really happy that I didn't have to repitch. I hope that the batc comes out tasting o.k.. Thanks for all of the advice.:mug:

Back