Please recommend corrections on my new batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KKtheMeader

Reaction score
Hello all.
My first batch went fairly successful and I managed to create a sweeter shot mead.
Thanks to all the help and guidance it finally worked.
But I have now started my second batch and I need some suggestions/ corrections.
I am using this mead yeast M05 Honey Mead Yeast: Mangrove Jack's - Home Brewing - Arishtam India for my multi floral honey mead.
I have provided the link for reference so experts can see if my process is ok.
So I hydrated the yeast with 5% sugar and a bit of my must, which I had already separated from the main jar.
I kept the yeast to hydrate for about an hour and could see the creamy foam being generated.
However the main jar with the must was still warm enough (above 35 degrees C ) so I waited a bit more.
But then I got confused as too much time into hydration would be dangerous.
So as soon as the temperature dropped to 30 degrees C, I pitched the hydrated yeast into the must.
I had kept the jar under AC and soon enough the temperature dropped to 26 degrees.
The packet instructions of the yeast say that it will work up till 30 Degrees C.
here again is the link, M05 Honey Mead Yeast: Mangrove Jack's - Home Brewing - Arishtam India
So can I still expect the yeast to survive and will the fermentation start properly?
Kindly advice on this.

30C is a good starting temperature to pitch ypur yeast. The concern for me would be if your starter and must were more than say 5 or 6 Deg C different.

If so, you could shock the yeast and cause either a delay in the ferment called a "lag" or less likley but possible even kill the yeast off.

I would wait a few days to see if your seeing indications of a ferment. If not, consider repitching another batch of yeast.

Note - I often let my starters go for 24 to 48 hours to create a lot of yeast prior to pitch. (Not really nevessary but seems tk work out well.)

Hello and thank you CKuhns
Well the starter and the must were hardly 5 degrees apart.
By that measure the pitching should go well and it seems to be so.
I saw a creamy layer forming at the surface in about 12/ 15 hours and the air stop cap had risen up.
The fermenting aroma was also fine when I opened the jar to degas once.
The only funny concern is that now the must is very clear for last one day.
The air cap does come up a bit indicating some gas present in there, but the must appears settled without any foam or bubbles.
What could be the reason?

Nope, no concern. Some yeasts do not make a lot of krausen. As long as your fermenting i would let it go. Consider looking up a Staggered Nutrient Protocol and add nutrients if you have them.

CKuhns
Actually on first look it appeared that there were no bubbles. But after seeing it with a torch light, sure enough tuns of fine small bubbles have appeared.
As per your suggestion I have fed the must with staggered amount of yeast nutrient.
Today I gave it the third dose and instantly I herd a nice fizz sound.
Correct me if I am wrong, this seems to go in the right direction.

Took a slight sample to taste. It is 5 days into fermentation and sure enough there are more visible bubbles. However the taste is still more towards the sweeter side with slightly sour taste like wine.

I'd be very hesitant to judge it's taste 5 days in. Tastes change radically throughout the whole process. I'd wait until fermentation stops to start working on taste. Sweetness for example, can very easily disappear (since it's what the yeast eat.)

Took a slight sample to taste. It is 5 days into fermentation and sure enough there are more visible bubbles. However the taste is still more towards the sweeter side with slightly sour taste like wine.
Yeah, don't worry about what it tastes like now - mead can take weeks if ot longer to fully ferment. Best would be to add some nutrients - stagger it like has been mentioned - then leave it alone for a ways. peek in once in a while to make sure the airlock is still wet, but don't touch it.

Ok guys, need some guidance over this.
Now 12 days into the fermentation (you can see from the thread itself ) the smell is just awesome.
But now the bubbles have reduced, however there is a layer of creamy foam on the surface.
Is this normal.
Does it mean something is going wrong?
And yes the sedimentation has also started.

Bubbles reducing is just a sign your yeast are finishing fermentation. With that said, fermentation can last weeks or even months (I have one that appears still but still drops 2-3 points a week) without any visible sign on the surface so always use your specific gravity reading and NOT visual signs to determine if fermentation is stopped (or stalled.)

Creamy foam should be normal and it should break apart and start dropping to the bottom.

If it doesn't smell/taste sour, if it isn't green or fuzzy, it's probably fine.

Thank you jkuhl
I was only curious because in the first 9 days, there were only fine bubbles but now suddenly the creamy foam has appeared.
Yes it smells fine and taste is ok too, but just curious as to why the foaming happened now that the fermentation is probably ending.

Back