Please, pronounce it "wert"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend from NJ says dawg. Especially when she is going on about the Devil Dawgs (not sure what they are, but I think they are some kind of sweet roll). LOL. :mug:

Were Devil Dogs not a national thing?! Staple of my childhood on Lawn-GUY-land.

images.jpeg

I donā€™t much care how wort is pronounced as long as you donā€™t say just one word in a sentence with an accent. Like how Giada Delaurentis does with mozzarella. (Mootzerell). Maybe one of the pronunciation pedants here can correct my phonetic spelling. Have a wt coworker that does this presumably because she thinks sheā€™s italian by 3rd gen injection. She also ā€˜could care lessā€™. Ugh.

i for some reason, just saw the title of this again....for some reason thought about how "wert" rhymes with "squirt".....lol

"Deep Thought, with Jack Handy" :mug:

From approx AD 800 to about AD 1000 part of what today is England was referred to as "Danelaw" and under the influence of various Scandinavian factions.
The Danish had the word "urt" and in Swedish it was called "vort", could that be the origin of the word "wort"

A bit late to the party, but being Swedish I thought I would weigh in. In Swedish it is "vƶrt" which is pronounced almost exactly like "vert" (exchanging the w for an v in the "wert" pronunciation already discussed).

Being Scandinavian I feel like I can also weigh in on the kveik pronunciation. The closest photnic spelling I can think of would be kvake with the "ake" pronounced like in snake. It's not quite there but pretty close. The Norweigans pronounce like a mix of kvake and kvike (ike like in spike).

A bit late to the party, but being Swedish I thought I would weigh in. In Swedish it is "vƶrt" which is pronounced almost exactly like "vert" (exchanging the w for an v in the "wert" pronunciation already discussed).

Being Scandinavian I feel like I can also weigh in on the kveik pronunciation. The closest photnic spelling I can think of would be kvake with the "ake" pronounced like in snake. It's not quite there but pretty close. The Norweigans pronounce like a mix of kvake and kvike (ike like in spike).
That seals it then. It's 'wert'. I know Swedes who have better English than some English. I'm not sure whether that says more about me, the Swedes or the people I know. On the pronunciation of kveik, I can even hear how that's expressed as 'kvake' in Swedish, relative to sing-along Norwegian 'eik', which they chopped down centuries ago. And even 'kvork' in Danish, from the throat. Drunkards on hotdogs! In English, though, it remains 'crap'.

this thread has been bothering the back of my mind, last couple batches, i've been wondering if i'm fighting to have an accent...now i'm thinking maybe

i do remember play the game xenon as a kid, and learning it's pronounced zeon....damn, it's bed time, and i'm going to be thinking about the movie zardoz now! s.o.b.'s! šŸ¤£

this thread has been bothering the back of my mind, last couple batches, i've been wondering if i'm fighting to have an accent...now i'm thinking maybe

i do remember play the game xenon as a kid, and learning it's pronounced zeon....damn, it's bed time, and i'm going to be thinking about the movie zardoz now! s.o.b.'s! šŸ¤£

Wizard of Oz

Back