Please! Need help/advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have an extract kolsch type beer in a secondary fermenter for almost two weeks now. I have had the primary and secondary, so far at about 65-68 F. So anyways, I checked on beer in the secondary, i have been gone the last couple days, and the temp was really high the past couple of days and the secondary go so hot that the beer started fermenting again. When I checked it today there were what looked like bubbles on top of beer. I quickly got the towel that I had around it and got it wet and put it around the fermenter again. My question is should i wait another week and get the temp back to where it was before and bottle it next week end? Or would this do anything to keep the effects, off flavors, etc., of my secondary getting too hot away from the beer?

I have an extract kolsch type beer in a secondary fermenter for almost two weeks now. I have had the primary and secondary, so far at about 65-68 F. So anyways, I checked on beer in the secondary, i have been gone the last couple days, and the temp was really high the past couple of days and the secondary go so hot that the beer started fermenting again. When I checked it today there were what looked like bubbles on top of beer. I quickly got the towel that I had around it and got it wet and put it around the fermenter again. My question is should i wait another week and get the temp back to where it was before and bottle it next week end? Or would this do anything to keep the effects, off flavors, etc., of my secondary getting too hot away from the beer?

Don't worry about it. The fact is, the period where temps matter the most is the first half, roughly, of fermentation, as this is when you're most likely to get off-flavors, esters, phenols, etc., from stressed yeast.

Did you take a gravity reading before you racked to secondary? If not, I highly recommend you do so in the future so you'll be able to tell if it's done or not. Fermentation shouldn't just start back up spontaneously due to heat, but it does appear from your description that it's back on. However, like I said above, you're past the stage where temps are going to matter all that much, so don't stress...just try to keep it as cool as is reasonable given your chilling abilities.

Is it possible that what he saw was CO2 that was dissolved in the Beer, and the heat released it, instead of a restart of his fermentation?

Back