Please look at my Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zip100473

Reaction score
Please send me any advice. This is my first all grain porter recipe.

Mash @ 153 Sparge @ 170

WL006 Bedford British Yeast

Maris Otter
38ppg, 3°L 8 pounds
68.2%
Chocolate
29ppg, 350°L 0.75 pounds
6.4%
Carafoam
33ppg, 1.5°L 0.6 pounds
5.1%
Oats (Flaked)
32ppg, 2°L 0.5 pounds
4.3%
Wheat (Flaked)
36ppg, 2°L 0.5 pounds
4.3%
Biscuit
35ppg, 25°L 0.5 pounds
4.3%
Simpsons medium crystal
34ppg, 55°L 0.5 pounds
4.3%
Simpsons Dark Crystal
36ppg, 75°L 0.25 pounds
2.1%
Black Patent
27ppg, 500°L 0.13 pounds
1.1%

Northern Brewer hops
9%, Whole 1 ounce
60 minutes (+0)

Goldings (Kent) hops
5%, Whole 1 ounce
20 minutes (+40)

i think you might have a bit too much going on in there. it's best to start simpler and then add things in after you've had a chance to taste it and revise the recipe. i think the hops and mash schedule look good. i would take either the oats or the wheat, or both, out of the recipe. you don't need both oats and wheat, it may end up with too much body. and consider taking out the carafoam, the oats/wheat will take care of that for you (as will the crystal malts). i also don't think the biscuit malt is necessary since you are using marris otter as your base. i would go with something like this:

MO - 8#
Med. Crystal - 0.75 #
Chocolate - 0.5 #
Black Patent - 0.13 #
Wheat/Oats - 0.5 ish #

Adjust the base malt as necessary to get whatever starting gravity you need.

Simplify that recipe - too much stuff going on there. Best to keep it simple. It's just a Porter, and only needs a few grains to make a good one.

I would ditch the biscuit, wheat, and oats for a start.

i think you might have a bit too much going on in there. it's best to start simpler and then add things in after you've had a chance to taste it and revise the recipe. i think the hops and mash schedule look good. i would take either the oats or the wheat, or both, out of the recipe. you don't need both oats and wheat, it may end up with too much body. and consider taking out the carafoam, the oats/wheat will take care of that for you (as will the crystal malts). i also don't think the biscuit malt is necessary since you are using marris otter as your base. i would go with something like this:

MO - 8#
Med. Crystal - 0.75 #
Chocolate - 0.5 #
Black Patent - 0.13 #
Wheat/Oats - 0.5 ish #

Adjust the base malt as necessary to get whatever starting gravity you need.

What about using Roasted Barley in place of black?

RB has an ashen flavor that's better for a Stout, where a Porter should have the slight acrid/tarry note you get from Patent. 2 oz won't really matter though.

+1 for simplicity and android's advice.

Thanks. Might bump it just a touch. Sticking with the black...

RB has an ashen flavor that's better for a Stout, where a Porter should have the slight acrid/tarry note you get from Patent. 2 oz won't really matter though.

i just brewed a porter with 4 oz of black patent. it seems just about right, but i would consider toning it down a tad in the future (maybe split the difference with 3?), you definitely know it's in there.

and i think you can bump the crystal malt up to a pound or so if you want and bump the chocolate up to .75 (it was about 400 *L) if you want a bit more from that.

Back