Quantcast

please help with this clone (riptide) - info direct from brewery

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

wgonfan

Reaction score
I spent a week in Pensacola Florida this spring & fell in love with Pensacola Bay Breweries RipeTide Amber ale. I normally don't drink amber ales, but this one was very tasty. Since the beer inst available here in Texas (or even outside of Pensacola) I would like to brew something similar. I emailed the brewery & here is the info they provided me:

We use fifty fifty two row and Munich malts.
We also use a decent amount of crystal malt in the 60 L range.
Then we use northern brewer and East Kent goldings hops.
Our IBU's are in the 50 range.
Our yeast is fermentis US05.
ABV 6.4%
OG 1.067

I am not setup to do all grain, nor am I knowledgeable enough to figure out hoe much of each grain & hops. I've only ever done Extract kits, but I'm open to mini-mash or biab. I know some of you guys use some software or something to help formulate recipes. Is anyone willing to help me turn this info into a mini-mash/Biab or extract recipe. Also, I haven't yet started making yeast started and would probably like to substitute a Wyeast activator pack for the fermentis.

If you guys are interested I'll send two of these beers to each person who helps on this clone.

OP
W

wgonfan

Reaction score
so I downloaded the trail of brewsmith & here is what I've come up with as a BIAB recipe. What do you guys think?

2.5lbs crystal 60l
5lbs 2 row
5lbs munich
1oz northern brewer 60min
1oz northern brewer 15min
1oz EKG 5min
American ale II wyeast
boil vol 7gals / batch size 5gals
estimated IBU 50, estimated OG 1.067 / FG 1.011 , 6.6% abv

jrobidoux

Reaction score
Exactly how amber is this beer you're trying to clone? I know they say they use a "decent amount of" 60 crystal, but my guess would be that 2.5 pounds will get you pretty dark, that is mostly a guess though...

OP
W

wgonfan

Reaction score
beersmith estimates 19.5srm which is probably a little lighter in color than the brew I'm trying to clone. I would guess 20 - 21 srm

BigRob

Reaction score
I'd guess they're using Briess Munich which is 20L, and not Weyermann which is 8.5L. 2.5lbs of crystal is a lot for 5 gal, is this beer really sweet?

45% 2-Row
45% Briess Munich
10% C60
30IBU Northern Brewer 60min
15IBU Northern Brewer 15min
5IBU E.K. Goldings 5min
Safale S05

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.019
SRM:17

Mash 154F 60min

OP
W

wgonfan

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider it sweet at all. Its been a while since I've tasted it so I'm having a hard time remembering the flavors, but it was unique from any other amber ale I've had. It had a good hearty flavor, little bit of savory & maybe some hints of nut . Thanks for the recipe. I think I'm going to make this my first BiaB.