Please Help with My Next AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcarson83

Reaction score
I've been stuck in a Pale Ale rut early in my AG career. I've been sticking with the Pale Ale because I'm tying to get a good house beer perfected and then move on but I've got two batches, with minor differences, conditioning and need something else to brew while I'm waiting.

I've been wanting to try some belgian yeast but not necessarily stick with any particular style, though I wouldn't be against it. Maybe something with a little orange peel. I read on another post a recipe with honey but I haven't had much time to read up on using honey or candy sugar so I'm a little reluctant.

Any ideas are appreciated.

:mug:

When honey is used
Explosions in the carboy
May be imminent

Blow off tube is best
And then the waiting begins.
Do you like dry beer?

Yeah I like dry beer but I'm also a fan of stouts. I did a couple of dark beers early on, one extract and a AG Porter, but they didn't have the body and head retention that I wanted so I moved on to the hops. I love a god oatmeal stout but I don't know if my mash tun is big enough to handle over about 12-13lbs of grain.

jcarson83 said:
I love a good oatmeal stout but I don't know if my mash tun is big enough to handle over about 12-13lbs of grain.

JC - I am drinking this now and broke it out during the Superbowl. It got great reviews and I've been asked to bring it to a St. Patricks Day party.

Very good mouth feel with a mellow chocolate undertone. I substituted Chocolate malt for the roasted barley to tone down the bitterness a bit.

This will work fine in a typical 5 gallon GOTT cooler Mas tun:
~~~~

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Kissing Toads Irish Stout
Brewer: KalvinEddie
Asst Brewer: Ellie My dog
Style: American Dark Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (45.0) Excellent Stout. Replacing the roasted barley malt with chocolate was a good choice. A milder flavor and very drinkable.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 30.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 5.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.7 %
0.33 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
0.33 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
0.50 lb Quick Oats (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.0 %
0.27 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.13 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Really, 5.3IBU? Thats seems really low. Not a criticism just surpirsed. I haven't done any research into stouts. Looks good though.

Just because lager is in the name doesn't mean it needs to be lagered does it?

jcarson83 said:
Really, 5.3IBU? Thats seems really low. Not a criticism just surpirsed. I haven't done any research into stouts. Looks good though.

Just because lager is in the name doesn't mean it needs to be lagered does it?

Yeah, this beer is flavorful and mellow. Doesn't have the bite of a Guiness and as I measured it, was just a shade below 5%.

Sorry bout the "lager" tag. Nope...just a good ale. I chilled one of these two weeks after bottling at 70 degrees and cracked it open. Excellent. The head was velvety but not too "fizzy". This is one of those good "fresh" beers if you need something to be drinking in 4-5 weeks.

Back