Please help need recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewluver

Reaction score
I have done extract batches in the past but not with full boils. I plan on boiling at least 5.5 gallons and then top up if needed. My system usually boils off a gallon per hour i just don't want to overshoot. My recipe is for a sierra navada clone. Should i adjust my hop amounts? recipe below

SG=1.058
FG = 1.010-1.016

IBU = 35

6-lbs Light dried malt extract
12-oz crystal malt 120L

1.25-oz Perle hops (60 minute) 7.7 alpha pellets
.5-oz cascade hops(35 minutes) 5.2 alpha flowers
1-oz cascade hops (2 minutes) 5.2 alpha flower

I ran the ingredients through Beer Calculus and got IBU = 33 with 3 gallon boil. When I up the boil to 5.5 gallons the IBU's = 39.8.

is 6-7 IBU points enough to make i big difference or should i just not worry about it and use all the hops.

RDWHAHB, you're fine. 6 IBU won't be noticible. What might be noticible is the lack of hop aroma(or not depending on how fresh SNPA you get). You may want to consider throwing in a 1/2 oz. or so of cascade in secondary. Just my humble opinion.

Either way you'll have a fine libation.

that does sound like a good idea, the directions say to use the 1 ounce of cascade either at the 2 min mark or as Dry Hop. I think i will throw .5 oz in at 2 min and save the other .5 oz for dry hopping. thanks for the advice.

Back