Please help me understand this recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstatemallards

Reaction score
I'm brewing a "Brooklyn Pennant Ale 55" clone and I can't figure out the recipe instructions. The recipe is built for as an extract but if you look at the bottom it explains how to do the all grain method. I went to the home brew store and he sold me every item on the recipe list but I don't think I need them all.

Should I use the 6 pounds of DME with the 9.5 pounds of grains?

The recipe says to mash the 9.5 pounds of 2 row malt with the specialty grains. What are the specialty grains???

Alerecipe.jpg

Sorry for the dumb questions!

no, the all grain recipe is just the grains, no extract.
Your grain bill would be:

9.5 lb 2-row
9 oz 55 British crystal
6 oz Belgian aromatic

crystal malt and belgium aromatic malt would be the specialty grains and the 2-row would be your base grain. No do not add the DME

Thanks for your help guys! This is only my 4th batch and I'm still learning the lingo. What am I going to do with all the DME now, haha. You'd think the home brew store would have been able to determine the right grain bill considering they were reading it out of this book.

you could used it for priming bottles or upping the OG if you are low at the end of the brew.

Or making a starter...

Haven't had that beer, but just looking at the directions, damn, that looks tasty!

That is all.

(Oh, and save the DME. It'll come in handy sometime, for making starters or doing a quick extract brew or something else. It'll keep almost indefinitely if you keep it dry).

I've read some reviews of this beer online and many people are saying that it doesn't have much of a taste. If I wanted to add a little more hop flavor or citrus flavor are there any hops that I should replace from the original grain bill?

I'm justing looking for something to boost this recipe. All suggestions are welcome! :mug:

I can't imaging that recipe having too little hop flavor, but if you want a more citrusy flavor, you could replace the perle and hallertau hops with an equivalent amount of cascade. You could also replace the fuggles aroma hops with cascade if you really want extra citrus, but that would make it rather un-English.

-a.

Back