Please help me solve a beer style mystery!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I spent some time in Germany a few years ago, before I was big into beer. I had many a good liters, but one style stood out. Many places always served a Helles, a Dunkel, and a "Spezial" or "Speziale" (which means "special"). If I remember correctly, the Spezial was usually golden but kinda cloudy. I don't think it was a wheat beer, but a lager. The BEST beer I had there was a "Spezial" by Augustiner. What the heck is a Spezial? What style does it fall under, and CAN I BREW IT?!:mug:

Please if anyone knows what I'm talking about chip in, or if you don't, just tell me I drank too much over there and my brain work doesn't anymore.

Thanks

I think it's a Hefe.

I am not intimately familiar with Augustiner, but looking at their brews on BeerAdvocate, the only one that sounds plausible is their Hefeweizen, Augustiner Brau Weissbier.

(please excuse my lack of appropriate umlauts and essets)

Does this sound about right?

Augustiner Edelstoff
Pale lager - Spezial.
Lemon, ginger and butter aroma, sweetish taste with butter, pepper and malt aromas, bitter finish with hop, citrus and grass aromas.
A pretty good beer with lots of fresh hop flavours and a touch of maltiness. One of the best examples of this difficult to brew style.

Does this sound about right?

This does sound about right, it may have been slightly more alcoholic and the lemony and gingery notes sound familiar. I guess I'll have to return to Germany to really know the answer!

Back