Please help me out with grain bill and yeast selection for IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning to brew my first higher gravity, hoppy beer.
Would you give me feedback on the grain bill and check out my questions around yeast selection?

OG 1.067

74% Light Maris Otter (1.5L)
8.5% Munich (15L)
5% Wheat malt
5% Carapils (2L)
1.3% Crystal (90L)
6.2% Dextrose

Planned mash temperature is 148F (64.5) for at least 60 min.

I initially planned to ferment using WLP002 however, when I punched the numbers in the Brewersfiend calculator, FG was predicted 1.020.
If instead I select WLP007, FG is predicted at 1.015. I do not know how accurate the prediction is, but I am now worried about my initial yeast selection.

I want the beer to finish on the dry side and still preserve a good deal of malt backbone. I don't know what FG I should be looking for given the OG of this beer.

For comparison:
I fermented a 1.046 beer down to 1.010 using WLP007 and I liked it, full of flavour (78% attenuation)
I fermented a 1.050 beer down to 1.007 using US-05 and I also liked it, it was very drinkable although a slightly on the thin side (85% attenuation)
I have not used WLP002 before.

thanks,
p_p

Agree with above. Munich will make this beer too malty, especially at that quantity and especially with MO as the base malt. I'd drop the Munich and most or all of the crystal.

There are going to be a lot of different opinions, and preferences here. For me I would Up the Wheat a bit (8-10%) and drop the Carapils. I don't think it Carapils do much for you here. The Crystal amount is OK (I've never went darker then 60 as well)-- I'm assuming you are using it more for achieving a certain color...? I sometimes use 1-3% Crystal, sometimes none.

I usually just go for the White Labs California Ale Yeast for IPA's. I'm meaning to try out something new, as I have been pretty boring when it comes to the yeast.

You got a big a$$ Hopstand ready for this one??

Thank you for the answers so far, I known there will be different opinions based on preferences, but that is exactly what I want to hear.

Did you see the IPA article recently? It had a lot of good tips.
I have read the article, and also the interviews given by the brewers. I even try collating some of the key points for my log book:
- Adding some simple sugar (usually 5-10% by weight)
- Minimizing crystal malts (less than 5% is recommended) or omit them entirely.
- Include 20-30% of wheat. It helps with the body since you want a dry beer, but not thin and watery.

When you say "dropping" do you refer to remove altogether or to lower the amounts?
Would you give more insight as to why you recommend dropping these grains?

For me I would Up the Wheat a bit (8-10%) and drop the Carapils. I don't think it Carapils do much for you here. The Crystal amount is OK (I've never went darker then 60 as well)-- I'm assuming you are using it more for achieving a certain color...? I sometimes use 1-3% Crystal, sometimes none. I usually just go for the White Labs California Ale Yeast for IPA's. I'm meaning to try out something new, as I have been pretty boring when it comes to the yeast.
You got a big a$$ Hopstand ready for this one??

Indeed the Crystal is there to get a bit of colour in the beer. It contributes about %40 of the total colour (aiming for 6 SRM in fermentor). I have some 60L I could sub but then I'll have to up the % or settle for a lighter colour beer. I could also get the colour from 300L Carafa I have left, which would require only 0.4%. What do you think?

Would you change the amount of Munich? If not, why do you disagree with the previous two posts?

In terms of hops, I have about 10oz in total with a single 90 bittering addition and the rest are flame-out and DH additions. Calculated IBU is about 80.

Edit, sorry 10oz of hops I have in total for this beer, not 6. :)

I wouldn't disagree. For sure it will be more Malty with that much Munich.
You do not have to omit it completely. I do an IPA with 7% Munich and a 50-50 base of 2 row and MO. I do another with just 2 row and bit of Vienna (no Munich). The first one is more Malty then the second, but they are both good - and IPA's...

This is more about preference and style. You said you wanted a good amount of Malt background, and those malts are a good choice for that.
I don't know if that helps at all, and Im not an expert here. I do know that nobody really agrees on what is needed to make a perfect IPA, as the style is so broad, and regionally different as well...

Back