Please Help - Im On A Tight Schedule W This Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoreBrewer

Reaction score
I need your help guys. I typically brew STRONG beers, but I needed to brew one for my brothers birthday party, which will be consumed by miller & bud drinkers. So, all the guys in the local brewclub said I should brew a Kolsch. I did just that. Everything was spot on the recipe. I fermented primary at 64F for 9 days, and then secondary at 60F for 11 days. Then racked to a keg. Its been in the keg for 2 weeks. I just purged the yeast (basically done) waited a few more days, and then pulled a sample. I SMELL CIDER!!!! OH NO. This Has To Be Ready to take to the party in 8 days.

Should I take the keg out of the keezer and let it ramp up to 70-74ish?? for the 8 days? What should I do.

Kolsh yeast puts out some funky smells and is one of the lowest floculating strains. To get it ready for the party and find a filter and cold filter it. A lot of times filtering cleans a young beer up really nice.

For future reference, a Kolsch really should be cold conditioned, i.e., lagered for a good 4-6 weeks to make a proper Kolsch. You just don't get the light, crisp taste without proper cold aging. Kolsch is not really a style that should be rushed.

You should have gone with something like a wheat, hefeweize, or cream ale.

Best of luck!

Back