please help ASAP! carboy stopper popped and overflowed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainxdog

Reaction score
Brewed yesterday put batch in to a 6 gal carboy with stopper and airlock . Came home just now and found that the stopper had popped out and some beer had over flowed still mostly full and foamy at the top. What should i do? Is the batch no good or can i just clean it up and put the airlock back on? I used dry yeast could this have caused it?

Sanitize the stopper and airlock, refill it, and put it back on, then wipe down your carboy. 99% chance your beer will be fine. That foam (krausen) is full of yeast, and they aren't big fans of other microorganisms so they do a fairly good job of destroying anything that could infect your beer.

Sanitize the stopper and airlock, refill it, and put it back on, then wipe down your carboy. 99% chance your beer will be fine. That foam (krausen) is full of yeast, and they aren't big fans of other microorganisms so they do a fairly good job of destroying anything that could infect your beer.

^ this, but I'd recommend replacing the airlock with a blowoff tube til that krausen settles.

Yup you'll be fine. Just clean up with cloth soaked in sanitizer or rubbing alcohol. You probably should use a blow off or it will keep happening.

^ this, but i'd recommend replacing the airlock with a blowoff tube til that krausen settles.

thanks i was freaking out cause i came home and there was crusty brown junk sprayed up the side of my walls and ceiling... I was worried i'd have to throw it out and start over...would a attachment that hooks into the hole of my stopper and runs into a siphon tube work?

thanks i was freaking out cause i came home and there was crusty brown junk sprayed up the side of my walls and ceiling... I was worried i'd have to throw it out and start over...would a attachment that hooks into the hole of my stopper and runs into a siphon tube work?

That's basically what a blow off is. If you have a three piece airlock, you can attach the siphon tube to the tube inside the airlock. I use a larger diameter tube that attaches around the outside of the raised hole in my airlock. Either should work fine. Congrats on the stellar ferment ya got goin' there! Should be good beer!

Hopefully it is i've never used dry yeast before. It's suposed to be an amber ale but well see how it turns out this is my second batch i bottled my first last friday but it was a dunkelwissen. Thanks everyone for the advice i was about to just dump it

Friend's brew popped the airlock all over his wall and ceiling. Was like this for almost 24 hours and it turned out fine.

rainxdog said:
Probably a good idea to have the blow off tube run into a bucket or is that not required?

Blow off tube on all my brews. Better to be safe then sorry

Probably a good idea to have the blow off tube run into a bucket or is that not required?

I run the blowoff tube into a jug of starsan solution. Just make sure the jug is lower than the fermenter, even if only a few inches, to prevent backwash.

And I've had a couple really aggressive ferments with notty. I usually use liquid, but if I use dry, it's that strain, good stuff IMO.

^ this, but I'd recommend replacing the airlock with a blowoff tube til that krausen settles.

I assumed he meant the krausen was receding a little bit, but yeah, a blowoff tube is rarely a bad idea, and oftentimes a good one.

Only chance I've had close to a blowoff was when some krausen was came through my airlock overnight, but it had already calmed down considerably when I woke in the morning and just cleaning out the airlock was all I had to do.

I brewed an apa, OG 1.054, wyeast 1000 headwaters ale, 5.5 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy, blew off 3/4 of a gal of foam in the first 18 hours. I've always used a blowoff, and that brew justified my reasoning.

Back