Please help a total noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to embark on a high stakes journey of patience, very delayed feedback and carboy staring (sour brewing) but am becoming more and more concerned with my water. I have always used 100% distilled water and simply added 1 tsp each of CaCl and Gypsum for no apparent reason at all and without knowing what it will actually do. Up until now I have produced drinkable beer that I have mostly been happy with but since these beers will have much more labor and time involved (and a lot more opportunity for things to go wrong) I would like to make sure I have better water after reading on themadfermentationist.com where he stated that he has ruined several batches by arbitrarily adding salts without knowing the cause or effects. With that being said I do not want to follow in those footsteps.

So, I'm asking. Can anyone on here please guide me in the right direction of water additions to achieve a basic, uniform water profile to start me on my journey? My biggest concern is that even though I have no way to check pH I'm positive my levels are horrible. Any and all help is welcome and very much appreciated. Thanks!

Also, for anyone that is curious this is (to the best of my knowledge) what my local water profile is. As stated above, I use 100% distilled but if my local water is something I can work with in the future I will figure that out down the road to save a little money. Thanks again

The biggest piece of water adjustments is knowing where you're starting, and what your target is.
If you start with the distilled or RO water, you should have effectively zero minerals etc (total dissolved solids) in there, and adding salts will give you a repeatable number.
If you're starting with tap water, even filtered, you need to know what you're starting is.
There are ways you can get your water report, for your house. Home Depot, for one (I presume Lowes also) have kits you can fill and send in to get your exact profile. you would then be able to calculate what you need for adjustments from there.
Also keep in mind that different styles need different water profiles to be their best. (that said, I use my own tap water I don't check PH, I don't add anything etc. and come out with more than passable beer.)

The biggest piece of water adjustments is knowing where you're starting, and what your target is.
If you start with the distilled or RO water, you should have effectively zero minerals etc (total dissolved solids) in there, and adding salts will give you a repeatable number.

So starting with straight 0's from the distilled water, my goal is highlighted in this recipe. I guess I'm unsure of how much of what to add to get to those numbers. I realize I dont even know what I dont know so its hard for me to ask a reasonably intelligent question, but thats what I'm getting hung up on.

I'm glad to hear that you dont treat your water and still turn out good beer. I've had good luck with my 100% distilled water up until now but want to make sure I get a reasonably close water to build my sours on. Thanks again!

I guess I'm unsure of how much of what to add to get to those numbers.
Look into downloading one of the online water calculators (Bru’n water, Brewersfriend, etc) to help with your water adjustments. Since you’re starting with a clean slate (distilled water) you can play around with different quantities of brewing salts and acids to match your target profile. You will of course need an accurate gram scale that measures to the .01 gram if possible.

Latest posts

Back