Please help a kegging newbie-CO2 coming out of beer in liquid line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most recent posts are correct about line diameter. 1/4" line will not serve you well unless you have severely under carbonated beer.

The line creates resistance, and the resistance drops dramatically as diameter increases. You need 3/16 line, or possibly more pressure. If you increase the pressure to 20 psi and do a pour as an experiment (it'll be ****, because this is too high), but you should notice that the bubbles in the line will eventually go away at this higher psi.

There is a balance to be struck. Too much pressure and it blows up coming out of the faucet. Too "little" pressure with not enough line resistance and it will foam in the line. You usually only see 1/4 line in commercial setups running 50+ feet line line with glycol, and they serve at a minimum pressure of 15 psi.

I would try smaller line as suggested, and start with 10'.

I think that is overly conservative. The usual rule of thumb I'm aware of is 10 feet of 1/4", 5 feet of 3/16".
If there is a rule of thumb it's 1ft. per psi of 3/16" beer line.

I have exactly that on my system, both 1/4" and 3/16" and they work fine.

OP I don't think you are over carbed. Only change one thing at a time and start with your beer line. Get your pour time over 10 seconds per pint first.

Thanks everybody for the ideas :)

Unfortunately, only hoses I have (and could find) are 1/4 diameter ones.
I already ordered a roll of 3/16 hose from Amazon, but it will take around 20 days to arrive :(

So the only thing I could try while waiting it to arrive is degassing the IPA.

The fact that there are no problems with the other beer indicates that there is a problem with the IPA itself. We'll see tomorrow, I just disconnected it's gas line and I'm releasing the pressure every couple of hours.

The beer line, shank and faucet are the same for both beers, because I only have one yet :)
I switch it between kegs as a temporary solution. (More faucets are on the way with the 3/16 line...)

I just disconnected it's gas line and I'm releasing the pressure every couple of hours

Assuming your keg lids have a typical pressure relief valve, you should be able to pull up on that and turn it which keeps it open.

I'd try that for about 6-8 hours and then reconnect the gas and see where you're at.

Back