please evaluate my crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefmike

Reaction score
Thoughts?

DSC01777.JPG
[/IMG]

AG, from a corona mill. I thought it might be a bit flourish, but the face of the mill is a little warped, so if I go much bigger it kicks whole kernals out one side.

I just needed some other thoughts. I have to get a bolt threaded onto the front to either motorize or attach the handle, then I will run a batch.

I was going to say it looks a little inconsistent... there are some very small bits and flour, then some kernels that look almost whole...

Then again, if you shake milled grain enough it separates into its parts...

Here is my Morebeer Crush: 69% eff.
P1020404.JPG

Here is my current BC .036" crush. 85% eff.
P1020405.JPG

Here is a .025" crush, much too much flour.
P1020406.JPG

I think I am going to have one more run at adapting this corona, then I am blasting the pasta roller... homemade pasta good, but group buying grain is cheap!

chefmike,
Maybe try conditioning your malt. You should be able to tighten the gap on the mill and still get LESS shredded husks. After the crush, the difference between conditioned and not-conditioned malt is almost as big as the difference between the bottom two pics in BobbyM's post...at the same gap setting (EDIT: ooops...not BobbyM's post...Pol's post...my bad). It will be harder to turn the crank though.

I was going to say... I want to see his crush.. he gets great efficiency and I want to compare!

I run mine at 0.038" and my results are very similar to The Pols middle pic, and I hit 82%.
Would someone care to explain "conditioning" your grain? I tried Suave with conditioners, but it just gummed up my BC....

so I took 5 minutes and modified the pasta roller with a 1/4" drill bit and got this crush:

DSC01778.JPG

I think I am going this route... it looks like Pol's to me, less flour, intact husks, no whole pieces.

I was going to say it looks a little inconsistent... there are some very small bits and flour, then some kernels that look almost whole...

Then again, if you shake milled grain enough it separates into its parts...

Here is my Morebeer Crush: 69% eff.
P1020404.JPG

Here is my current BC .036" crush. 85% eff.
P1020405.JPG

That is a good comparison.

Here is my barley crush at factory settings:

P1040796.JPG

P1040733.JPG

The number of untouched kernels in my past pre-milled grain purchases was rediculous. Those places were definately opening up thier gaps, a lot.

Another thing is the size of each grain. It varies quite a bit among different types and roasts. Seems the general trend is the darker the grain the smaller it is (and similarly...it seems the lighter the grain the harder it is). I crush all my grain at the same setting.

Side note: I finally got a decent digital scale and was able to weigh my spray bottle before/after the malt conditioning process. I was curious how much I had been adding. I just finished my normal process and I used 4.25 oz. water for 10.25# of grain which should be ~2.5%. The rollers on my crusher stay clean at this amount.

I think it's slightly inconsistent, but I do have a solution.

I started AG brewing with a Corona. During a milling session I noticed the grain was coming out inconsistent. Part of it was milled great, other parts were basically scuffed kernels. Turns out it was the spinning plate wasn't perfectly aligned with the base plate. If you view the plate from the front, the 3 oclock position had a gap of .035", while the 9 oclock position was .050". All the grain on the right side was great. On the left side was just being scuffed. What I did to fix this was loosen the two wing nuts on the subframe and slide it over while looking down from the top to eyeball when the two sides were about the same. If you're really picky, verify the distances from top to bottom on the mill as well. Then when it looks good mill about a cup into a plate or wide sauce pan for analysis. Check out the crush. I'd bet it's more consistent. When you get it set, REEF THE HELL OUT OF THOSE WING NUTS AND NEVER REMOVE THEM!! :rockin:

Back