Please Critique This India Brown Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Seeing as how the fall is approaching, I figured this beer would be a nice transition from the summery IPA's to the fallish Brown Ales/Spiced Ales.

Please let me know your thoughts...

1 Gallon AG batch based on 70% efficiency
BIAB
Target OG: 1.059
Target FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.8%
IBU's: 57.04
SRM: 19.25

Malts and Fermentables
1.60 lb Maris Otter
0.20 lb Caramel/Crystal 40L
0.20 lb Munich Light 10L
0.20 lb Victory Malt
0.05 lb Chocolate Malt
0.05 lb Special Roast

Hops
0.1 oz Columbus (14.6 AA's) @ FWH
0.05 oz Simcoe (13 AA's) @ 60 min.
0.05 oz Chinook (11.8 AA's) @ 30 min.
0.1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.8 AA's) @ 20 min.
0.1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.8 AA's) @ 10 min.
0.1 oz Amarillo (9.3 AA's) @ Flameout
0.1 oz Centennial (9.7 AA's) @ Flameout

Misc
1/5 of Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min.

Yeast
Wyeast American Ale 1056

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes
Ferment 3 weeks at 65*

The grain bill looks a lot like Lil Sparky's Nut Brown. Which is delicious. I think you're on to something.

Well, it's not so much my recipe, I went out and looked for something similar to the Terrapin Hop Karma recipe and found this. I'm not sure if it's "exact," but I can't see this not being good, which is why I wanted to throw this out to the group to see what they thought.

If you want something along the lines of Hop Karma, which is a great beer, considering adding some Columbus as a Dry Hop. I think your hop measurements are off: you have 0.1 oz when I think you mean 1 oz....right?

If you want something along the lines of Hop Karma, which is a great beer, considering adding some Columbus as a Dry Hop. I think your hop measurements are off: you have 0.1 oz when I think you mean 1 oz....right?

No, this is a 1-gallon AG batch. See original post.
Thanks for the dry hopping suggestion. Makes sense.

No, this is a 1-gallon AG batch. See original post.
Thanks for the dry hopping suggestion. Makes sense.

You are right I stand corrected. Check out our Hop Zombie Indian Brown Recipe, it won us a Best of Show People's Choice at a festival last year: http://www.smallbatchhomebrew.com/Hop-Zombie_p_13.html. The recipe is linked to the page toward the bottom...the only difference between this recipe and the one that won was the dry hop. Instead of Bravo we used Amarillo, but we have run out of it for the season...looking forward to the new harvest!!!

Back