please convert to extract. stone pale ale clone.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixitoscar

Reaction score
I have been wanting to brew my favorite pale ale from my favorite brewer for a long time. Stone pale ale. I got Stone's book" The craft of stone brewing co" for christmas. In thier book they have a few homebrew recipes of thier beers. Unfortunatly they are only listed in all grain.
I'm hoping someone can plug these numbers in and let me know how much lme to sub in for the 2 row in the recipe.
Here it is straight from the Stone book.

Makes 5 gallons
10 lbs 7 oz. north american 2 row
1 lbs 4.2 oz crystal 60l
4.8 oz crystal 75l
.44 oz columbus 12.9 %aa 90 minutes
.77 oz ahtanum 6% aa 10 minutes
1.19 oz ahtanum 6% aa flame out
wlp 007 dry english ale yeast.
og 1.057
fg 1.014

Thanks in advance.

That one should be pretty easy. Since you can steep the crystal, you can just convert the 2row into extract. The normal conversion rates I've seen are:
1lb Grain = .75lb LME = .6lb DME

So round the grain to 10.5 pounds. 10.5 lb grain = 7.875lb LME = 6.3lb DME. Everything else will stay the same.

Don't use LME if you can help it. DME gives you much more control over color and flavor.

At least in my experience. Every beer my brother or I have made has been too dark looking and too cooked tasting. The problem is LME not mixing well, especially if you don't do a full boil.

LME will almost never mix fully in the same way the top-off water almost never mixes fully with the finished wort, unless you practically break your arm stirring.

I saw that and looked at the scan of the page. they actually have a different bittering hop and crystal qtys than the one in Stone's book. my guess is they tweeked it a bit to improve it. the byo article is 2008 the book came out in 2011.
I have had very good luck with lme. I also full boil. more beer always gets me nice fresh lme. If my color is off I will definatly look into using dme instead. Thanks everyone.

The point of my posting that was you have both an Extract & AG version of the recipe so you could see how they handled the conversion. You can then sub anything else like hop types to get what you want. They more than likely changed the bittering hop due to availability, cost or even a switch to bittering extract which is sometimes a basic Columbus (CTZ) concoction.

that presentation is a good read. Thanks.
Its pretty much what zeekage posted.
samc i understand. thanks
I'm just going to pick up an 8 lbs bag of lme and use some of the difference for my starter.
I'll add a few pounds at begining of the boil and the rest will be at the 15 min mark.
For informations sake here is the conversion section of ken schwartz's presentation.

[quoteGrain to Extract Conversion
For the question of converting grain to extract, there is a short and a long answer. The short answer,
based on typical all-grain processes and extract characte ristics, is to use 3/4 (0.75) lb of liquid extract
for each pound of grain being substituted, or 2/3 (0.67) lb dry extract. Now technically that means
that it takes more liquid extract to equal dry extract, but in practice, you can use one conversio n
factor or the other, even if you plan to mix dry and liquid extracts. My suggestion is to convert the
entire amount of grain to liquid extract, subtract off “whole canfuls” (3.3 lb / 1.5 kg increments), and
convert the remainder to dry extract. You can convert liquid extract to dry by multiplying by 0.89,
or dry to liquid by multiplying by 1.1.
For example, if you are converting 6 lb of pale ale malt to extract, you would need 6 x 0.75 = 4.5 lb
of liquid extract. Since you’re buying a 3.3 lb can of extract, this leaves 1.2 lb to make up. Rather
than using part of another 3.3 lb can (and wasting the rest), you can use 1.2 lb of dry extract. To be
precise, you’d actually only need 1 lb dry extract (multiply the remaining 1.2 lb of liquid extrac t
required by 0.89 to convert liquid to dry). Try it both ways and see.][/quote]

Back