Please check my hop utilization math:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
6.57gal boil, 5.5gal batch
.25oz Centennial 9.5% 55min = 9.3 IBU

2.5gal boil, 5gal batch
.48oz Northern Brewer 6.8% 55min = 9.3 IBU

Is this the correct way to do this? If so, frack! I'm going to be using almost double the hops :p

That calculator isn't precise enough for me to be able to check my math. Cool page though.

I did my calculations in Beersmith, but this is my first time trying to do this, so I just want to run it past you guys and see if I'm right or if I'm wasting hops making nasty beer :p

we need more info. the gravity of the boil has an effect on utilization, so your grain/extract bill will be needed.

:drunk: my bad, i see what you're trying to do now. Am i correct that you're trying to convert a full boil recipe to a partial boil?

The hops are an example of a different AA% with substituted hops. I am converting an AG to an extract with steeping grains.

Estimated OG for this is 1.040

(anyone know what beer this is, yet? :) )

Anyway, with that OG, is this the correct math?

I'm getting a substantial difference. Just over 8 IBU for the first one and over 11 for the second. Anyone else? did you changed all the volumes in beersmith?

NitrouStang96 said:
6.57gal boil, 5.5gal batch
.25oz Centennial 9.5% 55min = 9.3 IBU

2.5gal boil, 5gal batch
.48oz Northern Brewer 6.8% 55min = 9.3 IBU

Is this the correct way to do this? If so, frack! I'm going to be using almost double the hops :p

Going from a 6.5 to a 2.5 gal boil and keeping the amount of extract the same will at least double your hops to keep the same IBU. This is due to the utilization going way down. You need to figure in a late extract addition if you want to use a smaller amount of hops.

Also for a 1.04 SG your boil gravity is going to be well above that since you will need to add in about 3 gal of water to reach 5 gal total, and the water will bring the SG down to that target number.

Ok, thanks... I have no idea what I am doing.

I am doing a late extract, but I have no idea where to start with my calculations :( I used the estimated OG of the AG batch's instructions, so maybe that's where I went wrong...

Please help me!!!

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (AG):

Batch: 5.5
Boil: 6.57
Est. OG: 1.040

7lb Pale Malt
.75lb Carapils
.50lb Crystal 10L
.50lb Vienna
.25oz Centennial 9.5% 55min
.25oz Centennial 9.5% 35min
.25oz Cascade 7.8% 20min
.25oz Cascade 7.8% 5min

My Extract Version:
5lb Coopers Light DME (substituted for 7lb Pale Malt)
.75lb Carapils (same as recipe)
.50lb Crystal 10L (same as recipe)
NO VIENNA (I have no substitute for the Vienna)
.??oz Northern Brewer 6.8% 55min
.??oz Northern Brewer 6.8% 35min
.??oz Cascade 6.3% 20min
.??oz Cascade 6.3% 5min

I plan on adding 25% of my DME (1.25lb into 2.5gal boil) at the beginning of the boil, and the remaining 75% (3.75lb) with 15 minutes to go.

Well, since you're using Beersmith (that's what I use), how about using it to calculate it for you? You can put Biermuncher's recipe it, and convert it to PM or extract. You can change the boil size, too, and also click on "late extract addition" to see how it changes.

Can I help you with that by doing one and then posting it for you here?

Nevermind, I found it. How bout this:

the steeped grains plus the 1 lb 4 oz of DME create a boil gravity of about 1.036

.25 northern 60 minutes
.5 norther 30 minutes
.25 cascade 20 minutes
.5 cascade 5 minutes

comes to 21.5 IBU

YooperBrew said:
Well, since you're using Beersmith (that's what I use), how about using it to calculate it for you? You can put Biermuncher's recipe it, and convert it to PM or extract. You can change the boil size, too, and also click on "late extract addition" to see how it changes.

Can I help you with that by doing one and then posting it for you here?

After messing around with some more conversions in Beersmith, I'm convinced my hop amounts are correct for IF I DO NOT do a late extract method. I'm going to adjust est OG for a late extract, and lower my hop amounts til they seem correct.

I GOT IT!

If I convert the 5.5 gal batch to 5.0 gal and 6.57 gal boil to 2.5 gal, and then do my 60min boil with the steeped grains and only 1.25lb light DME (25% of 5lb), then I have brought the hop utilization down to almost identical with the hops I currently have.

.25oz Cent 9.5% = .29oz NBrw 6.8%
.25oz Casc 7.8% = .26oz Casc 6.3%

I'm going to dissolve the remaining 3.75lb DME into the wort at the very last second, right after I pull the pot off the boil.

Thanks, Yooper, for the recommendation of converting with Beersmith (it didn't exactly work correctly, but it led me to what I needed to know), and to shaffer and jonnio for leading me to finding my correct est. OG.

I would have to use 3x as much hops if I add all of the DME at 60min. Yikes, never again will I do that.

Glad you got it working. I am starting to try and do late extracts on all my stuff just for the simple fact that hops are getting harder to come by. I need to get beersmith or something else though since I don't have any good software right now.

Exactly. I'm also going to brew a batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale immediately following this batch, and I'm actually going to be using 20% fewer hops than his recipe calls for because of the late extract. Sweeeeeet.

Back