Please, a KISS method for grains???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid; I plan a fermentable grain/malt extract combo brew for the weekend and need advice. The main question is do I need two different brew pots? Palmer says about grains "The mash should be held at the saccharification temperature for about an hour". But I understand brewing to include a real rolling boil and a "hot break" when the hops are added. So can I mash the flaked rice & corn for 1 hour at 140F-150F then remove the actual grains, add the malt extract and reach a real boil? Or do I keep them separate until sparge time? {All assistance appreciated, thankx in advance!} :ban:

You're describing a partial mash.

Here's the link to Palmer's instructions on how to do a PM.

If you're an extract brewer and want to add adjuncts, you may want to consider using corn syrup (ie. Karo) instead of "mashing".

Also, I'd add some crystal and base grains to your PM.
Since you're going to the trouble, you might was well get the most from it.

KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid; I plan a fermentable grain/malt extract combo brew for the weekend and need advice. The main question is do I need two different brew pots? Palmer says about grains "The mash should be held at the saccharification temperature for about an hour". But I understand brewing to include a real rolling boil and a "hot break" when the hops are added. So can I mash the flaked rice & corn for 1 hour at 140F-150F then remove the actual grains, add the malt extract and reach a real boil? Or do I keep them separate until sparge time? {All assistance appreciated, thankx in advance!} :ban:

You can easily do this in one pot (but you need another pot to heat up water for the sparge- the rinsing of the grain). You mash the rice and corn (and you need some base malt along with it, like 2-row) for one hour for a nice steady temperature- try to get it at 150, or even a bit higher, rather than lower. So, keep it steady at 150-153. I would just turn off the heat, and put a lid on the pot. You can occasionally go lift and dunk and stir the grains up. You want to make sure all of the grains are wetted thoroughly and you can check the temperature at that time. If it gets lower than 150, turn the heat on again gently.

You should do this mash at the rate of about 1.25-1.5 quarts per pound of grain. And the base grain (two row) should equal the rice and corn. What I mean is- say you have a pound of rice and a pound of corn. You'd also want 2 pounds of 2-row, so they'd equal out. So, 4 pounds of grain total. The amount of water you'd use would be 1.5 quarts per pound- times 4- so you'd mash in 6 quarts of water.

After the mash, you would remove the grains. I like to use a grain bag, and lift them up and put them in a spaghetti strainer over the brewpot, so that it drips back into the brewpot. Then, you gently pour 170 degree water (that was heating in a different pot) over the grains in the strainer, so that it rinses the sugars out of the grain. You can do this with up to .5 gallons of water per pound of grain, so in this case, you'd use 2 gallons of water. That should bring you up to your boil volume, if you're boiling 2.5 gallons of wort. Then, you'd bring that to a boil, remove from heat, add your extract and bring back to a boil and start your hops additions.

Deathbrewer has an awesome thread on this process- with pictures. It sounds like many steps, but it really isn't!

Edit- I remembered that you are not using barley so my adding 2-row is no help to you. I know that corn and rice will NOT convert themselves, so you need something in there to help them convert. What are you using that has the diastatic power to convert? Or is this not a gluten free brew, and you're able to use barley?

I know that corn and rice will NOT convert themselves, so you need something in there to help them convert. What are you using that has the diastatic power to convert? Or is this not a gluten free brew, and you're able to use barley?
That is where the extract comes in. It is a Sorghum Malt Extract, not an actual sorghum grain. Because I did want this one to be gluten free. So would it be advisable to mix in 3 lbs. sorghum malt extract w/ the grains or some other method to convert to sugars? I have some recipes from the Gluten Free group here that include the flaked corn, sorghum extract, et. al., but no details on how the brewing took place (aka, 150F or a boil w/ hot break, etc).

Anyone know where that thread is? :ban:

Sure! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

I don't have an answer on the sorghum question- but I have two contrasting thoughts. First, it's already converted, so I'm not sure how it would help convert the corn/rice. Secondly, maybe it's better than NOT using it. See, told you they were opposite thoughts.

I think that you may be better off with corn sugar and rice syrup for your fermentables than trying to mash them without base grains. Then you don't have to worry about converstion.

You're describing a partial mash.

Here's the link to Palmer's instructions on how to do a PM.

If you're an extract brewer and want to add adjuncts, you may want to consider using corn syrup (ie. Karo) instead of "mashing".

Also, I'd add some crystal and base grains to your PM.
Since you're going to the trouble, you might was well get the most from it.
I want to do a partial grain mash but I think the problem arises from not being able to use barley malt in the grain because of the gluten. So I'm stuck with flaked rice & corn & sorghum extract as fermentables (I also have corn syrup, honey, belgium candi, and palm sugar). Technically I have some 6 row barley malt, oats, and chocolate malt too but they all contain gluten. I'm experimenting w/ gluten free brewing and flying by the seat of my pants. I suppose I can use the grains in a batch of regular beer and just use extracts and syrups in the gluten free beer if I must. :(

That is where the extract comes in. It is a Sorghum Malt Extract, not an actual sorghum grain. Because I did want this one to be gluten free. So would it be advisable to mix in 3 lbs. sorghum malt extract w/ the grains or some other method to convert to sugars? I have some recipes from the Gluten Free group here that include the flaked corn, sorghum extract, et. al., but no details on how the brewing took place (aka, 150F or a boil w/ hot break, etc).

That won't work. Extract doesn't have enzymes to convert the corn. You would have to mash with sorghum grain. If you only have extract you could use corn sugar/Karo/etc. and rice extract.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

...I think that you may be better off with corn sugar and rice syrup for your fermentables than trying to mash them without base grains. Then you don't have to worry about converstion.
Another poster just offered the same advice. So I could use all extract/syrup brewing for the GF, and put my 6 row barley malt in with the corn & rice. But now my question is how did those who used flaked corn in their GF recipies use the grains w/o the barley malt grains? Perhaps it was as you suggested and the flaked corn didn't convert? :cross:

Sure! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

... I have two contrasting thoughts. First, it's already converted, so I'm not sure how it would help convert the corn/rice. Secondly, maybe it's better than NOT using it. See, told you they were opposite thoughts.
YooperBrew, here's a question that will remove all doubt as to my ignorance on the topic. Aren't these pregelatinized flakes already malted to allow the conversion of the starchs into sugars? I kind of thought that these flakes eliminated the need for the malting process. But what you say is consistent with what I've read. All roads lead to using a barley malt with. Perhaps I'll just make a GF from extract and syrups and save the flakes for use with my 6 row and chocolate malts. At least until I get a degree in chemistry. :D

YooperBrew, here's a question that will remove all doubt as to my ignorance on the topic. Aren't these pregelatinized flakes already malted to allow the conversion of the starchs into sugars? I kind of thought that these flakes eliminated the need for the malting process. But what you say is consistent with what I've read. All roads lead to using a barley malt with. Perhaps I'll just make a GF from extract and syrups and save the flakes for use with my 6 row and chocolate malts. At least until I get a degree in chemistry. :D

Well, yes. They are "precooked" so that you don't have to do a cereal mash with them (cook them before using) and can add directly to the mash.

BUT, that doesn't mean that the starches in them can convert to sugars on their own. They are starchy. When you mash with a malt that has a high diastatic power, it can convert its own starches to sugars, and bring along some extra enzymes to convert the starches in the corn/rice/etc. Some malts like Munich malt, only have enough diastatic power to convert itself. But 2-row and 6-row and other base malts have enough in them to convert themselves and bring along a friend or two for the ride.

I know that some LHBS carry amylase enzymes. If you really want to try using grains without any malt I would go that route.

Austin Homebrew Supply

Disclaimer: I have never attempted this myself. :) In your case I think it's definitely worth a try though!

Mash the grains with the enzymes as directed using 1.25 qt/lb of 155*F water for 30 minutes. Preheating the water to 167*F before adding the grains it should settle out at 155*F after about 5 minutes. Keep it 150-155*F being careful not to go over 157*F. Do an iodine test after about 30 minutes to test for conversion. You can use a dropper to put a few drops of wort on a paper towel or coffee filter, and add a drop of iodine from the pharmacy. If the solution turns blue, you need to adjust the temp to get it 150-155 or add more enzymes and keep mashing until the test drop stays pink.

Good luck. If you try this be sure to let us know how it turns out. :mug:

I know that some LHBS carry amylase enzymes. If you really want to try using grains without any malt I would go that route....Good luck. If you try this be sure to let us know how it turns out. :mug:
I definitely will try this out. As usual my LHBS charges a lot more for this than others I can order but for $2.95 and a quick trip I can have it this weekend. I will definitely let you know how it turns out. I'll keep you informed throughout the process.

Back