Playin w/Ferm temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, question.. I have this recipe that tells me to start fermentation at 65 and then raise it 6 degrees slowly in the last 3rd of fermentation... It's a guiness clone recipe btw. At 65 degrees, at what hour after the beginning of fermentation would you start to raise the temp? Raising is supposed to reduce the diacetyl level...
So wadda ya think, raise after 48 hours or wait 72 to raise?

This sounds suspiciously like the advice given in Brewing Classic Styles for the dry stout recipe.

It's hard to predict the final third of fermentation. With a lower OG like the recipe in BCS (1.042), my guess would be that 48 hours after the start of active fermentation is probably right.

If you are using a chiller setup where you can regulate your temps fairly well I would say chill your wort to 65 and pitch your yeast at that temp. Set your temp to 67 and let it self rise to that temp, after a day go to 69, then after that day go to 71 and let it rest at 71 until it finishes fermentation. Based off a general fermentation schedule three to four days should be the majority of fermentation so I would start this process at that time point. If you want to be more accurate you can take samples during the time period so you know just exactly how far into fermentation you are, but to do this you need a sanitary way to take multiple samples and you will lose more beer. The key to performing a warm rest is that you want to begin to raise the temps while there is still enough sugar left in solution to allow the still active yeast to raise the temperature.

Yes, KISS, no mystery, it's the Cerveza Malto Seca recipe in brewing classic styles which I have made before but really never had the ability to control fermentation temps like I can now. It is a good recipe, and although I say 'a Guiness Clone' for me the Guiness clone is RiClarke's recipe on here using soured Guiness or not it's pretty close.
The few issues with Guiness cloning is the step mash to convert the flaked, carbonation, and alcohol levels... and for goodness sakes if you are trying to clone Guiness pick a product and stick w/it, they make a few and they taste different... The man himself had a 1.066+ brew to start so for those who say Guiness should be weak perhaps now it should be but it didn't used to be :) or at least a stronger variety was available... If ya want to make the light session Guiness on nitro tap go for Ri's recipe on here, don't over do the grain bill and don't over carbonate... 1 to 1.5 vols ... Just sayin' ya want to clone ya gotta clone :)
This recipe Cerveza De Malto Seca from Brewing Classic Styles is more coffee tasting than Guiness, especially if you follow directions and use a coffee grinder to grind the roasted barley up 'almost to dust'... it does produce an amazing flavor :) So, just trying to get rid of the butter now (diacetyl) taste...

Back