Plated nickel bulkhead? Health risks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiteface

Reaction score
I'm using a bulk head that would be used for hotwater for a washing machine as a bulkhead in my cooler. It worked pretty well, maybe the flow was a bit slower than I would have liked, but thar's fine. I know plated nickel can be pretty nasty, but don't think I would need to worry about it at mash temperatures. Usually it would degrade at higher temps and is a concern in industrial settings...would you be concerned?

I found this while i happened to be searching for info on Stainless for another project:

Nickel is not poisonous in small quantities but it can provoke a reaction in people allergic to nickel. The average adult consumes between 150 to 250 micrograms of nickel per day. Using corrosion-resistant nickelcontaining stainless steel cookware, even for cooking acidic foods such as rhubarb, apricots or tomatoes, will not add significant amounts of nickel to the diet.

Not sure if that helps you or not but thought i would post it up for you.

-Walter

I think that will. Thank you very much, I think I like my setup and will continue to use it.

Back