Plate cooler life expectancy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've cooled 140 batches though a 20 plate Duda Diesel plate cooler, back flushed with hot Starsan or Saniclean before and after each use. Anyone have any experience with them failing internally?

Forgot to mention, mine has not failed, just wonder if it is something to worry about, if anyone has ever had one leak internally. I could see the potential of a ruined batch, and in my case, wort all over the cellar floor due to overflowed fermentor.

Easiest thing would be to contact Duda Diesel to get the life expectancy of their chillers. I would imagine they'll say many years and hundreds, if not thousands, of batches and cleaning cycles. Provided you don't use something foolish to clean/sanitize with. ;) Keep in mind, it's copper and stainless inside (copper brazed stainless).

Right, the copper brazing is the only bit that can be physically damaged via "normal use".
Keep the caustics to a minimum to prolong the life...

Cheers!

Back