Plate chiller with (very) hard water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone --

I recently moved across the atlantic (from Canada to the south of France).
I decided to sell off most of my brewing equipment to a friend (typing this brings a small tear to my eye) and buy new stuff rather than shipping everything.

I am planning on getting a plate chiller from here:

http://www.brouwland.com/shop/product.asp?cfid=4&id=2753&cat=400&dt=24

My question, though: does anyone have any experience using plate chillers with *extremely* hard water (for the cold water in/out, that is)?
Our tap water is quite insanely hard here. For example, our electric tea/coffee water kettle gets coated in calcium deposits after one use of tap water, so we tend to use bottled water (it's cheap).

I assume that since a plate chiller is build to handle beer, it should be able to handle calcium deposits, as long as I run a slightly acidic cleaner (starsan? vinegar?) through it after each use?

thanks

I wouldn't worry about it, if you are worried about deposits I'd rinse with distilled after you clean it. I really wouldn't worry about it though.

Looks like a standard stainless with copper brazing material. You'll be fine in terms of depositing calcium on the plates make sure you keep decent flow on the cold side and as mentioned before flush it out with some bottled water when you are done so nothing really dries out on the cold side leaving deposit. If you are really worried you can flush or loop with vinegar every few months.

Back