Plate chiller vs. counterflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone feels strongly one way or the other. I'm just about sick of stirring my immersion cliller for 20 minutes after boil and am looking into one of the other two options. It seems that I can get either for around $70-$80 bought. I know I could make the counterflow easy enough, but for not much less. . .

You can make a counterflow for roughly 40-45. There might even be a guy that works with you that's made one before & would be willing to help.

Yeah, but that guy said he recommended buying one because his leaks so much . . .

But, does that guy have any experience with a plate chiller?

Yeah, that guy just bought the cheapest hose he could find... bad idea. ...and he doesn't have any plate chiller experience. :(

With the price of copper these days, you'd be hard pressed to make one for $45.

A lot of people now are finding that it's actually cheaper to purchase ready made copper chillers instead of making them just because the home brew supply stores haven't updated their pricing yet.

No experience with the plate chiller but I'm very pleased with my Cheyco brand CFC. Only used it twice so far but is awesome in comparison to the immersion. Cost me $56 to make it but I got lucky and got 25' of copper at Ace for $20! ($5 off coupon). Home D / Lowes was 2.5x that price. Maybe because they move more copper and are reflecting the increased cost of copper nowadays. If you have an Ace might want to check em out in case...

desertBrew said:
I got lucky and got 25' of copper at Ace for $20! ($5 off coupon). Home D / Lowes was 2.5x that price.

What a find!

I know that a 10 ft 1/2" rigid copper tubing that use to cost $2.50 is now over $14. It's crazy!

I have two plate chillers that I use in a two zone set-up. I think they are the greatest thing since kegged beer. I can chill 24 gallons as fast as I can pump it through. Great cold break. I say get a plate chiller.

80bf444a.jpg

Now you say it (plate chiller). I can't seem to buy the right thing the 1st time. Guess that's why it's a hobby though eh?

The plate chillers are going to be more efficient than tube-in-tube counterflow chillers in general. The drawbacks are:

1) Plate chillers can be pricey, but the performance seems to be worth it from all the folks I've talked to.

2) Plate chillers are susceptible to clogging with debris such as pellet hops.

Depending on your climate and the kind of beer you brew, the extra performance of a plate chiller may not even be necessary. In other words, if your tap water is 60 F for most of the year and you brew ales, a counter flow will probably do you just fine. However, any chiller is going to need help once your chill water starts to creep up over 70 F. Here in Knoxville, my chill water is about 78 - 80 F during the summer so summer brewing is a bit of a challenge.

Prosit!

Aren't plate chilllers subject to the same laws of thermodynamics as immersion wort chillers? That is, if your cold tap water is 80 degrees, you still can't chill below that temperature without taking other measures? Such as pumping chilled water through the chiller?

Brewiz said:
Yes, but I think I can get one made at work for $0.00

OK, you get one made for me at your work and I'll give you $25. How's that sound?:) Or better yet, I'll etch you a custom set of glasses and pitcher.

Thanks for the replies guys. based on what you're saying, if I can find a good price on a plate chiller it might be the way to go.

Back