Plate-Chiller Revival: Remove severe mineral deposits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

My father-in-law just replaced the hot water plate heat-exchanger in his house due to hot water issues. Luckley for me it turned out the old one wasn't an issue so I grabbed it to use as a plate chiller.

I think once it's cleaned up it will work great BUT it has some pretty heavy mineral deposits. SOOOO what cleaners should I use on this bad boy to get this crap off? Would PBW be enough?I'm expecting to have to soak/pump multiple times.

Pictures Attached
IMG_20180315_072453.jpg
IMG_20180315_072513.jpg
IMG_20180315_072414.jpg
:

Start out by soaking for 24 hours in white vinegar. Vinegar soaks work well on coffee brewers, sink spray nozzles, and shower heads. May need more than one soak for this piece of equipment.

Vinegar if you want to go the safe route, phosphoric acid (coca cola) if you want to go faster but also more risk to the unit.

Both of them will eat the scale deposits, both of them will then move on to eating copper (just far slower). So you get to play the guessing game of using enough to kill the rust while not so much you damage the unit (which could potentially have a problem already, but it doesnt look too bad)

Duda
Do you have any recommendations for timing on both. Are we talking hours for the Acid or days?

What exactly went through the primary channel? And the secondary? If any oils or chems were in the water I'd be very careful using it for wort.

A domestic hot water system is considered potable so I wouldn't be concerned about anything weird. I have a similar system (though it uses a hella big IC inside a glass lined tank) and both sides have the same well water in them.

I'd find some way to recirculate the suggested acids through both sides of that PC as it will greatly accelerate scale removal vs trying to fill it manually and just leaving it to soak. And I imagine a hot solution will work even faster...

Cheers!

Hook up your march/chigger or even cheap sumbergibale aquarium pump and run some blc or 5 star beer stone remover through there in a continuous loop for a while. Rinse repeat and maybe you will have a usable chiller.

Duda
Do you have any recommendations for timing on both. Are we talking hours for the Acid or days?

Depends on the concentration of the acid.

A really weak acid might take overnight, would be easy to handle, but then you are also exposing the entire unit to acid overnight.

My personal prefernce is a relatively strong acid, applied directly to the rust, and then wiped right back off. Like putting bleach directly on a stain. And just like bleach, you would'nt want to allow the strong acid onto the rest of the unit - but right on the spot, wash it right off, and you're good. Only downside of this method is safety; you have to be prepared to handle strong acids.

So most people do something in the middle. Mix a weak acid, soak for 10 minutes, try to wash it off with elbow grease to see how well it worked. Depending on results, you then either repeat, or mix the acid stronger and repeat.

Back