Plate Chiller Clogging. Counterflow Work Better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
I'm selling my Blichmann Therminator (in for sale section already) because I clogged it last night by putting 4 oz of hibiscus petals in my wort during the boil. I already had my hop spider pretty full of orange peel and hops so I didn't want to add to it.

So question: Would a counterflow chilller work as good while not clogging as easily? One, say, like this:

8604.jpg

I changed over to counterflows because of the problems I had with plate style coolers.

ya counterflows are the bomb, they let alot of big stuff through and if ya do clog em a bit just fire come compressed air through it. DONE

and plate chillers have about a million areas for crap to build up and never be cleanable.

Counterflow is way better for clogging but is less efficient. If you live in an area with water restrictions. PC might be better but if water is unlimted, CF is the way to go. I will say that a PC is a CF except that it is compact with narrow wort flow channels to achieve efficiency.

I have been able to make my therminator work by using a very large hop spider and an end of boil whirlpool. That said, I hate the long recirc to clean it so i'll move to a Chillzilla, once the other brewing equipment priorities are satisified

I just made the move from a therminator to a coaxial counterflow. I got one that was cleanable, which seemed like a good idea (one of the things I didn't like about the plate chiller). I love tossing hops directly into the pot now (so long hop spider :) )

Here's all the comparison info. Too much to regurgitate here: Chiller Showdown: Blichmann Therminator vs JaDeD Brewing Cyclone

Back