Plate Chiller Ball Valve & Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheel4985

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade to a March pump and plate chiller and had a question about ball valves and thermometers. How are you guys monitoring the temperature of the wort coming out of the plate chiller? Do you have something installed in-line? Do you also have a ball valve attached for the plate chiller, or just the pump? My hope was to do one pass of the wort through the plate chiller directly into the fermenter, but wasn't exactly sure the best way to measure the temperature going into the fermenter.

I plan to add a T fitting exiting plate chiller with a Thermo. Currently I have one of those temp strips taped to a piece of copper inline with the silicone hose, which is a poor man version of the Blichman device. I have SS ball valve on the output side of the March pump.

Same here. Valve on output of March pump. Output of chiller to a "T" with thermometer. I also have a valve on the cold water so I can adjust either the water or the wort to nail the temperature that I want.

Which thermometers do you guys use? I'm assuming something similar to what's on a keg, just shorter probes.

Back