Plastic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I noticed that in the last couple of bottles I've opened, it has what I'd describe aa a plastic taste. It's hard to compare it to any other type of taste. When the beer was in the keg, it was good. But, I bottled some of it, and now it seems to have a very bad off taste. Has anyone else had something like this happen, if so, what can be done to prevent it in the future?

Sounds like chlorophenols. I've had that happen when I used chlorinated water. Not sure what what else would cause that. Did you happen to wash or sanitize with chlorinated water?

I had this happen to me two years ago when I was doing 1 gallon batches. Obviously very frustrating when all 10 of your hard worked bottles taste like a vinyl record. Anyway, turned out that the chlorine based cleaner I used to remove labels wasn't rinsed off well enough and that's what did them in.

Sounds like chlorophenols. I've had that happen when I used chlorinated water. Not sure what what else would cause that. Did you happen to wash or sanitize with chlorinated water?

+1 on this. I had the same issue when i moved into a new place. Plastic smell and taste that ruined 10 gallons of brew.

I just had this happen to me as well. Turns out that they switched our water source and chlorinated higher. Time for me to start using RO Water I guess.

I just spend $67 on a 4 stage RO+DI water system that hooks up to either your garden spout, sink tap, or faucet lip. 100GPD at 1:3 ratio! Worth every penny IMHO. Much cheaper than expected.

I just spend $67 on a 4 stage RO+DI water system that hooks up to either your garden spout, sink tap, or faucet lip. 100GPD at 1:3 ratio! Worth every penny IMHO. Much cheaper than expected.

Wow only $67 for that? Looks like something I should invest in. I have a carbon filter but the water here is too hard for anything that's not roasted or British

I just finished looking into these systems.... 3 to 1 is too wasteful for my area (California Water Controls see to that). Looks like I double or even triple filter my water or buy the spring water/filtered water from the local mom & pop store...

Its really not THAT much.

If you need 7 gallons, you will use 21 gallons. Belive it or not, 21 gallons is NOT that much. Skip a shower to make up for it ;)

Its really not THAT much.

If you need 7 gallons, you will use 21 gallons. Belive it or not, 21 gallons is NOT that much. Skip a shower to make up for it ;)

But since I am brewing 15 gallon batches, that takes it to 60 gallons minimum for each brew. Still too much waste for my preferences. :mug:

Back