Plastic Erlenmeyer Flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nealf10

Reaction score
Finally going to start making a yeast starter to pitch. Was gifted a plastic 2000 mL flask. Curious to know if anyone has used a plastic one before? Obviously, I'm not going to boil in it, but will transfer the mini wort into the flask and get it inside of an ice bath ASAP. Again, just curious if anyone has tried it before and if they found it to be okay to use or if they'd advise against it. Will also be purchasing a Stir Starter. I assume the magnets would still work okay, but if you've seen any ill effects from the plastic flask, do let me know. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

--Neal

What kind of plastic? What is the flask designed to be used for? Is there a specific application?

This may help determine if it can handle the heat. Until you find out the type of plastic I'd avoid adding any boiling liquids.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414349891.940007.jpg

This is the bag it came in. As I said, it was a gift and I don't have much info on it. I will search online to see if it gives any more info. The bottle itself is virtually unmarked.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think you're Ok to use that. it melts at 311F.

From http://plasticsinfo.org/Functional-Nav/FAQs/Polycarbon-Plastic -
The use of polycarbonate plastic in food-contact applications continues to be recognized as safe by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the European Food Safety Authority, the German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, the Japan Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, and other regulatory authorities worldwide.

Polycarbonate has a melting point of 311F so you won't do any damage by adding boiling wort to it, but some studies have shown that adding hot liquids to polycarbonate bottles will cause higher levels of BPA to leech into the liquids. Whether or not you feel BPA is harmful is a different story.

The only concern (after heat) that you should have is not scratching the inside during cleaning. Just clean with PBW, Oxyclean etc.....maybe even just run in the dishwasher if it fits. The last thing you want is some scratches that hide bacteria because by the time you finish growing up your yeast and bacteria and pitch it, your batch will be quite infected.

Id still cool the wort before adding it to the flask. I'm not saying the flask cant handle it, its just better not to be pouring hot liquids if you don't need to.

Polycarbonate is pretty tough. I believe most non-glass sight glasses are made from it.
I'm not sure the plastic stir bar would scratch polycarbonate.
I'd use it and not worry about it, inspect, clean, sanitize as with any other glass/plastic/silicone items in your brewery.

I googled those. They look nice. The ones I saw had a vented cap which would be perfect for a starter. They ones I saw cost more than glass though. But - seeing as I've broken several glass ones I'd consider picking these up. I heat in a coffee pot and pour into my flask to cool, so they would be perfect.

Back