plastic cider error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Very few apples and pears this year, so I decided to use a kit or two to make cider. According to the instructions I should add 3 kilos of sugar for 2 kits in a fermentation bin and check gravity and add more sugar to suit, leave 21 days and then bottle. I used a 54 litre demijohn / carboy, which is dark green, encased in plastic, so I couldn't see whether the sugar had disolved or not - it hadn't, so I added a bit more, now it shows 9-10% predicted SG. Here's the question - do I bottle it after 21 days and risk the bottles popping, or leave it with an airlock for a couple of months and then bottle it? :confused:

I would leave under airlock until gravity drops to about 1.000 or lower and then continue to age 6- 9 months (or longer) as if this was a wine and not a cider. You may want to rack off the gross lees when the gravity hits 1.005. How quickly the sugar will ferment dry will depend on the temperature (among other things) but I would put away your calendar and replace it with an hydrometer

just checked it, still bubbling (even more after I stirred it), and the hydrometer shows 1.000 to 0.995 (2 samples). I guess I should bottle it, but I am inclined to let the bubbling in the airlock finish and leave it for 4 weeks just to make sure the bottles don't explode - any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back