Plastic carboy's. Rookie mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugDude

Reaction score
This is more of a forewarning for those that might be new and using a plastic carboy.

Bottled a couple weeks ago and cleaned out my carboy the same day.

Looking at my carboy today I noticed that I melted a bit of the bottom of the carboy where the hot water from my tap was hitting. I didn't pop a hole in it but there's a melt bump there now.

I'm sure it's ok and if anything it's just my OCD that will drive me nuts just knowing its there.

Anyhoo, figured I'd pass my whoopsies along in hopes that it prevents someone else from making the same mistake.

Could be worse! I left my Better Bottles out in the sun to dry last summer and the sun caused the black thermometer strips I put on the sides of them to heat the plastic enough to melt it and now my carboys lean to one side. :mad: At least they are still usable.

When I traded a fellow member in WY a bunch of Cooper's PET bottles for a 6G BB,I went to JW Dover & talked to the head brewer (they also have Black Box Brewing in house). His cracked at 140F PBW temp. Mine had laid in his garage for a while,& needed cleaning. So I used room temp water/PBW mix & swirled it around. Even used a carboy brush lightly. Cleaned up good as new! There's a warning on the label about max temp,but I forget off hand what it is...

When I traded a fellow member in WY a bunch of Cooper's PET bottles for a 6G BB,I went to JW Dover & talked to the head brewer (they also have Black Box Brewing in house). His cracked at 140F PBW temp. Mine had laid in his garage for a while,& needed cleaning. So I used room temp water/PBW mix & swirled it around. Even used a carboy brush lightly. Cleaned up good as new! There's a warning on the label about max temp,but I forget off hand what it is...

http://www.better-bottle.com/technical.html

Bettle Bottles are rated up to 140F.
Water Temperature - Very Hot Water is Dangerous, Potentially Destructive, and Unnecessary.

BetterBottle PET carboys are rated up to 60�C (140�F), the highest temperature considered acceptable for residential hot water heaters, and BetterBottle fittings are rated up to 75� C (167�F), the highest temperature for the great majority of residential dishwashers. Water above 52�C (125�F) is generally considered to be dangerously hot and is not necessary for effective washing or sanitizing.

Jeez! How hot is your tap water ?
I've been using BB's for 3+ years & routinely clean w / B-Brite & hot water (120F) w / no problems & routinely get a clean carboy after an hour. No scrubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Come to think of it,I remember he did say something about soaking them at that temp. So that max temp must be for quick cleaning only,since his cracked around the bottom someplace.

If your tap water is hot enough to melt a plastic carboy it is hot enough to be a danger to the humans in your household. Turn down the thermostat on your tank or install a tempering valve. My friends who work in the burn unit assure me that nobody enjoys their time there.

I have to agree, that's a little nuts. I've gone (almost) no chill into my 6gal pets putting at least 130* wort into them and I have no melting, warping, or any other issues. If your tap is really that hot, that's a problem.

For what it's worth, if your OCD is really getting you, austin homebrew is having a decent sale on 6 gal pets. Theyre $15.99 and flat rate $6.99 shipping isn't bad.

Wowsers, I use 20l cubes for fermenting and regularly soak them with boiling water to clean, never an issue with melt, also no chill with boiling wort. Possibly time to check the grade of poly your using?

If your tap is melting anything turn your water heater down please. Before someone is burned. BB do not like boiling heat. I melted one putting it too close to my burner. Rookie mistake as well. It still works though, I'm fermenting in it now in fact.

I could mash in from my tap. Hotter water in the tank = longer showers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I could mash in from my tap. Hotter water in the tank = longer showers.
Scalding is actually a serious thing and recommendations to set your heater below 120 are well founded, even if it is just for the safety of your guests.

If you want long hot showers without installing a larger tank it is still possible with the use of a tempering valve which adds cold water to your scalding tank water to lower it to a safe temperature. Valves for residential use seem to be priced in the $75-$150 range.

Back