Plastic carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkarian

Reaction score
Was at walmart today looking for a cool for a MLT and I noticed they had 5 gallon plastic water bottles. They were only like $6 so would make a cheap alternative to carboys. They said they were safe for hot/cold water and were made from PVC. Inside the recycling symbol was a 3. So what do you guys think are they safe for brewing?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Carboy

Another type is the inexpensive plastic carboys used for office water coolers. These carboys are usually easy to find at regular retail stores and are significantly less expensive than glass carboys or better bottles. However, these carboys can be made of any number of different types of plastic, and a homebrewer should identify the type and make sure it is suitable before attempting to use one as a fermenter. Looking at the recycling code on the bottom of the carboy, #1 plastic is PET (like the better bottle) and should be suitable for fermenter use. Other codes are less suitable, particularly #7 which represents "Other", and could thus be just about anything. Using a carboy made of unsuitable plastic may mean excessive oxygen permeability, and the plastic may be porous enough to allow it to stain and harbor odors and possibly infections.

These carboys are also typically only available in a 5-gallon size or smaller, making them unsuitable for use as primary fermenters for 5-gallon batches as they have insufficient headspace for krausen.

PVC is not generally considered safe for Hot water. Because lead is used in the MFG. and leaches into the water or whatever is being stored or transported thur the container or pipe when the temp is high. So that's curious that Wal-Mart would say that it's OK for hot water.

CPVC is used for hot water pipe while PVC is only used for cold water pipe.

As to whether or not it would make a good fermenter? Having never used one I couldn't say but it would probably work fine as a primary. Using it as a secondary might be an entirely different matter. I really don't know.

Went to Sam's this morning to get water for the office. I usually buy Polar springs 5.2 gallon carboy plastic #7 bottles. I noticed they are carrying a new brand also Monadnock based out of NH in 4 gallon size. They have no deposit on the bottle where Polar has a 5$ deposit. And they were both about 97 cents a gallon, no brainer there bought 4 of them 1 office and 3 for brewing this weekend.

Get it to the office and set it on the water cooler and there it is #1 PETE

Went to Sam's this morning to get water for the office. I usually buy Polar springs 5.2 gallon carboy plastic #7 bottles. I noticed they are carrying a new brand also Monadnock based out of NH in 4 gallon size. They have no deposit on the bottle where Polar has a 5$ deposit. And they were both about 97 cents a gallon, no brainer there bought 4 of them 1 office and 3 for brewing this weekend.

Get it to the office and set it on the water cooler and there it is #1 PETE

I need 2, 3 gallon water jugs ASAP, none of my LHBs's carry the 3 gallon BB's, and I need to rack off my mead asap, I think I might have mold on it...if not I wanted to split the batch in half and add peaches to one batch....

I need 2, 3 gallon water jugs ASAP, none of my LHBs's carry the 3 gallon BB's, and I need to rack off my mead asap, I think I might have mold on it...if not I wanted to split the batch in half and add peaches to one batch....

I'm guessing that all Sam's clubs are now carrying them.

Walmart has 2.5 gallon water jugs made of #2 HDPE. Picked one up for around $2 yesterday for a batch of apfelwein. It had a stopper that was easily removed and replaced with a carboy bung. Just thought id throw that out there for people who need a small fermenter.

I used 2 of the 3 water carboys from Monadnock spring to brew this weekend didnt want to open the last for a gallon that I was short for the sparge . I talked to rep this morning from Monadnock about the 5 gallon size they deliver. Was told that they are also #1 but there is a deposit on them as they cost much more to produce. Said the 4 gallon was made for two reasons , first they are lighter meaning more manageble at the supermarket 2 that they tried 5 gallons in these bottles but some ruptured in transit.

My impression is that these bottles are thinner than my Better bottle. The bung is the same size. At 3.97 for 4 gallons of water and no deposit its a good deal for a #1 Pete bottle

I think I will try these out with EdWort's Apfelwein just do 4 gallons instead of 5.

Springer- Thanks for this...I have my mother in law scoping out Sams for 3 of these for me... I was pretty set to get a better bottle just for apfelwein... but this is a steal for the bottle and I need to water too.

Number 3 Plastics
V (Vinyl) or PVC
Found in: Cooking oil bottles, clear food packaging

"Harvard-educated Dr. Leo Trasande of the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine advises consumers to avoid number 3 plastics for food and drinks. (If you're unsure, look for the little symbol that should be printed on the container. Some brands have left the symbols off, which is a major problem.)

Why? Number 3 plastics may release toxic breakdown products (including pthalates) into food and drinks.

The risk is highest when containers start wearing out, are put through the dishwasher or when they are heated (including microwaved). PVC manufacturing can release highly toxic dioxins into the environment, and the materials can off-gas toxic plasticizers into your home."

Latest posts

Back