Plastic Bucket, Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
Question. I've got a plastic bucket fermenter, away from the windows of course. The question is: should I turn a box or something upside down on it to protect it from light?

I keep mine is a closet so I'm not 100% sure, but I think the buckets are opaque enough that they really don't let any light in. If you want to be really safe you could throw a garbage bag over it.

I put a black t-shirt over my fermenters. I use carboys so I don't want to take a chance. I don't know if light will penetrate a bucket but it sure can't hurt to cover it.

I've not noticed any problems from a white plastic bucket sitting in my basement w/ windows and often fluorescent lights. I do however cover carboys w/ the super high-tech upside down box technique:p

I use black garbage bags draped over my carboys or buckets. I put a hole in the bottom of the bag for the airlock to fit through, so I can watch it.

I don't think it's the light that is bad, per se. It's the UV part of it. I would expect that very little UV would penetrate through that bucket.

How about that Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic to use on a bucket? Just don't get any inside it.

I don't imagine anyone would want to make a class carboy to where they couldn't ever see into it though.

Zul'jin said:
How about that Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic to use on a bucket? Just don't get any inside it.

I don't imagine anyone would want to make a class carboy to where they couldn't ever see into it though.
Whats wrong with my upside down box method?
Oh, I see, overly complicated? :D LOL

Back