Plastic Big Mouth Bubbler Sealing Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrew290

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just got my Plastic BMB 6.5 Gal here recently and just tried a batch well during fermentation I didn't get hardly any action through the airlock. I troubleshot down to the lid seems like its not sealing well and was wondering if perhaps i just didn't get the seal with the equipment or if anyone else is experiencing this.

Yeah. Just have to screw the blue ring down really right. Then periodically during fermentation. Every few days or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've been trying that that's how I've troubleshoot to the lid but I'm having to unscrew and rescrew it every couple of hours I was just wondering if there was a gasket i was missing cause I know the glass ones come with one I guess ill try so food grade caulk for a makeshift gasket so I don't have to constantly mess with it

I'm using one for the first time and I am able to smell the beer near the lid. Not sure if it is from the stopper in the lid or from the lid seal around the mouth of the carboy. I snugged the lid on as tight as I can turn it. I am getting quite a bit of action through the blowoff hose so it must be sealed enough.

The glass versions of the Big Mouth Bubbler have some sort of gasket but the plastic ones do not.

I've got the same problem.

When I called NB they said it is a gasket-less design that relies on the close tolerances of the plastic to plastic mating.

I had great action in the airlock for the first 3 days, then nothing.

No StarSan foam in the airlock at all. Yet I can see bubbles of CO2 popping on the surface of the beer.

So where are all of those bubbles going? Obviously not through the airlock, and the blue ring is screwed down as tight as I can get it.

Here are 2 pics . . . .

Bubbler-1.JPG

Bubbler-2.JPG

I'd try a bigger stopper. My drilled stopper probably has at least 0.5" exposed above the lid. I really jammed mine into the lid. That could be your issue.

Or maybe put some keg lube on the stopper to give it a little better seal.

I've made seals to reuse glass jars for spices. Old seals tossed because they were flavored with mayonnaise or pickled herring. I made an impression of the lid in a styrofoam plate. Cut it out and pressed it into place.
Styrofoam would not work for a fermentor though. To much absorption. Perhaps cutting a gasket from a ice cream bucket lid would improve the seal.

You know what? I think I'm having the same issue now as well! My beer is still fermenting - not vigorously, but I still see bubbles coming up. It's been about 1 week since I put it in. The airlock has no action whatsoever and even when I squeeze the BMB, the airlock doesn't move. With a bucket, it seemed like any little amount of pressure to the lid would cause the airlock to lift up from the displaced air. I guess I should have tested this by putting water in it, putting in a stopper and then flipping it upside down to see if it leaked.

I will try that. The problem is that there could be several places where it isn't sealing correctly:
between the threads and the blue ring (this would probably be the hardest to diagnose with the BMB upright)
between the blue ring and the white lid
between the lid and the opening on the bubbler
between the stopper and the hole in the lid
between the airlock and the stopper

I guess I will spray some star san solution onto the white lid tonight and squeeze the BMB to see if any air gets pushed through, and then try the same thing around the stopper.

Just brewed my first batch in the plastic big mouth bubbler. It seems like the opening in the lid is just a hair bigger in diameter than the blowoff tube.

Y'all worry too much. If the lid is on, it is good. You do not need a total seal. The nasties cannot crawl their way through the threads to get into the beer.

I'm not using the one that came with it i have a 1/4" hose pushed through the stopper. I don't trust the seal on just a hose going through the top.

That's what I did. The 1/4" hose fits snuggly in a drilled carboy stopper. Mine didn't come with a blowoff hose anyway.

On the sealing issue, I tried starsan and couldn't find any leaks. I got to looking at my airlock and noticed a small crack in it and the fluid level was lower than what I'd originally put in it. I'm guessing it leaked slowly enough that it evaporated before I could notice it. I switched out the airlocks and now it is maintaining pressure.

same trouble, no airlock activity whatsoever. I know its not an issue during primary but I will never use it for secondary. Its four ferments for me now with the same issue. Its tolerances are poor. Conceptually it is great , but frankly it doesn't give me peace of mind.

I forgot to post about this earlier, but after my batch was done, I did a test to see if there were any leaks. I filled it up with about 1 gallon of water, put the stopper upside down, put the white lid and the blue screwdown piece on and flipped it over. Nothing immediately started leaking but then I started shaking it and sure enough, water started coming out. There is clearly an issue with the white piece sealing to the BMB. I guess that isn't surprising since both pieces are rigid. I'm wondering if there is a way to make a gasket of some sort to give it a better seal. A thin layer of something flexible where the white lid comes in contact with the BMB should be enough.

PS - my beer tasted fine so maybe it's not big deal. Still, I expected more.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys. Just started my ferm on Sunday night and waited and waited for the blow off tube to give me some sign. Nothing and this was a 1.070 OG beer with a 2L starter so I was expecting major bubbling. I was worried at first but realized yesterday that my closet smelled like hops so I figure there's no seal on the lid even after tightening. I agree, good concept on paper but ultimately not the 'perfect' carboy as they will make you believe. I was actually going to order the 5 gal this week but this has made me rethink these things. I will leave a review so others are aware.

Had the same problem. Brewed yesterday 1.074 beer feremlation kicked off and all kinds of activity in the bucket with blow off tube. Checked it this afternoon and nothing, but you can see the yeast going crazy in there.

So I sprayed water dish soap mixture on the lid and around the blue ring. Sure enough big bubble started popping up under the ring.

I have 4 of these so I tried different lids, no help. Tried different ring and that fixed the issue. Looking at the other ring I can't see anything wrong with it. Threads are all good and nothing in them.

This is a big concern to me.

I'm thinking for my next batch, I will try adding a few layers of sanitized saran wrap around the rim of the bubbler to help the white lid seal a little better.

Have been having the same problem ever since I bought these fermenters. At first, I thought it was the stoppers, so I kept pushing them down as far as I could. Then I assumed it was a leak between the stopper and my thermowell, so I calked it which helped just a little bit. I am wondering if a little keg lube on the lip of the fermenter would work next time. I will have to give it a try unless someone comes up with a casket fix.
P.S. no infections and no real worries at this point. It would just give me piece of mind to see the airlock bubbling away.

Hmm I'm going to go check my fermenter I just used yesterday. I used another bubbler once and had no issues, beer fermented and no infection.

BTW, I would not recommend mixing soap and water to spray around the fermenter. I'd use star san though.

You can cut a ring from a styrofoam plate to create a seal. Use the lid as a template for marking the cut line.

I really like my Big Mouth Bubbler. My only gripes are all with the lid:

1. It's hard (but no impossible) to tighten the lid enough to get a good seal. I hold the fermenter between my knees to tighten the lid. The lid needs a better grip around it's rim, and perhaps a thicker gasket/seal.

2. The airlock opening needs to be larger, to accommodate a stopper thermowell, auto-siphon, wort sampler etc.

3. I want a hook or loop on the underside of the lid for dry hopping.

I don't want to be "that guy", but I think you guys are worrying a bit much about having a perfect seal on your primary fermentors.

I'm not sure there is a concern for Secondary fermentors either. Having s very tiny leak in a static environment is not the same as having a leak under pressure.

I don't want to be "that guy", but I think you guys are worrying a bit much about having a perfect seal on your primary fermentors.

I'm not sure there is a concern for Secondary fermentors either. Having s very tiny leak in a static environment is not the same as having a leak under pressure.

I hear what your are saying, and you are probably right. But it is a design flaw, and should be fix.

Well I have krausen forming but i didn't notice the airlock moving. I rarely worry about it but I did reseat the lid for kicks. I totally get what you all are saying. Now i worry though.

I switched out all my carboys for the big bubblers. I do like them – a lot…..But I am frustrated with a few things as well.

1) The lid just sucks. I am not getting bubbling on my airlock either. I did finally get it on my last batch but I had to push the stopper down REALLY hard into that middle plastic hole for it to start. I’ve also noticed that turning of the lid really tight does not ensure a tight seal. For some reason I’m able to turn it even a little more after a few days. It’s like it becomes unlocked somehow.

2) The glass is thin – although I did buy the harness and the harness actually protects it adequately. I could see how if you skimped on the harness that the glass would really scare me.

3) The lid again – needs a spot for thermowell

4) The manufacturer needs to make replacement lids and distribute them.

I’m so frustrated with the lid that I am thinking of trying to design one myself. Everything else about the bubbler is fantastic.

Serious question... What's the purpose of seeing airlock bubbles? These vessels are clear, are they not? You can actually see the beer fermenting right in front of you. What does a bubbling airlock tell you that the beer itself doesn't?

I'm only asking because I've not used an airlock on my primary fermenter for the past year and a half and stuff a thermowell in the airlock hole instead. When I want to check it's progress, I just look at the beer. That tells me way more than an airlock ever could.

Serious question... What's the purpose of seeing airlock bubbles? These vessels are clear, are they not? You can actually see the beer fermenting right in front of you. What does a bubbling airlock tell you that the beer itself doesn't?

I'm only asking because I've not used an airlock on my primary fermenter for the past year and a half and stuff a thermowell in the airlock hole instead. When I want to check it's progress, I just look at the beer. That tells me way more than an airlock ever could.

I ferment in buckets and can't easily see the beer and I also think the airlock doesn't tell much...

It's fun to watch when you are starting out, but after several batches you ignore it.

This reminds me I should check that Hazelnut Porter I brewed last weekend. I never checked to see if it got started!

I ferment in buckets and can't easily see the beer ...

True, but this thread specifically concerns the plastic Big Mouth Bubblers and posters appear to be concerned about the lack of an airlock seal.

Incidentally, I also primary in buckets. I don't snap the lid. If I want to see what's going on, and I often do, I just lift the lid, take a gander, and set it back down.

Im also having an issue with a tight seal on my BMB, Now granite there are breweries that use open fermenters and have great luck.
I have no worries of infection from my lid not being completely sealed, the problem is and I think most would agree is the product received isn't as the product described for purchase. Its obviously at this point a design flaw/oversight. I guess the deeper look is if something as simple as a sealing lid doesn't work properly what else could be flawed ? Easiest solution, Use something else. But I like the design and concept and just would like to see it get fixed.

Just a random note that might help someone out - I took my lid and drilled a couple holes in it. One for an airlock and one for a thermowell. I put grommets in both and I do believe I have an airtight seal around those holes. HOWEVER - when I put the lid on for fermentation, I've found the center hole leaks if it only has that small plastic cap on it. That small plastic cap does not hold an airtight seal.

Just sharing my experiences to help someone else out maybe

Using my new plastic 6 gallon BMB for the first time today. I got the 2-hole lid, seemed like it would be a nice way to take samples. However, the solid stopper they sent me won't even stay down in the hole. I can push it down as far as it goes, let go, and it slides right back up. It's one of the plastic universal ones (like this: http://www.homebrewing.org/Universal-Carboy-Bung-Solid-Stopper_p_1388.html) going to try to replace with a different style: http://www.vinofabb.com/Sold_stopper_7.jpg.

As far as the sealing, as long as you're having a good primary then lots of CO2 is being produced and how it escapes is not that important, whether through the airlock or between the white and blue parts of lid. As long as CO2 is moving out, nothing should be coming in. But I may start to worry if i leave in primary for a month or so. That's when I'd want a better seal. I know there's a still CO2 being made and a blanket over it, but I'd feel better with stronger seal.

I Really like their 5 gallon design for secondary, because they are so slim i can fit more in my ferm chamber (chest freezer), but not going there until I can get a good seal...

Seems like ALL this needs is a simple silicon ring to go between the blue and white parts. That would solve that, then need to get the stoppers tight...

I also noticed the 6.5 stopper is too small. I can push it all the way in if i pushed hard enough it would go through... will probably just got get some #7 rubber ones, both solid and ported to see how they work.

I have the 6.5 gallon plastic Big Mouth. The small universal stopper fits well in the single hole lid. This is the stopper size recommended by NB.

The universal stopper(hollow on the inside, more plastic than rubber kind) is what they sent me but it keeps popping out. The holes are the same size on the two hole lid so I'd think this would happen on the single. I just jammed it in as hard as i could, anymore and i'd be afraid of flexing the white lid. I watched the stopper sit there for a second then start to move and POP. It actually popped out and landed back on the hole, but tilted sideways. Forgetting about these stoppers...

I switched to the single hole lid for now until i can get some #7 hard rubber stoppers. I also found a #7 hard rubber ported stopper i bought for my 1 gallon jug (cider) and am using it with airlock. I'd definitely go #7 vs 6.5, you could literally push the 6.5 ALL the way through.

Back