Planting Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Well, I know it been asked a millions time so why not one more time.

This is my first year in the hop growing process and I am going to stick with above ground planting and use 20 gal. buckets. I figured if this years sees some descent opportunities than next year I will plunge under ground.

My question is what mixer of planting materials should I be using when preparing the soil. What should I be looking for to buy. Miracle Grow? Compost? Top Soil?

How often should I be watering and feeding?

Thanks for the help in advance,
Dana

I haven't planted them in pots, but I used a manure compost for my hop beds. Last year was their first year, and they seemed to love it. This year, all but the Nugget hops came up in late March, and they're growing quick. I didn't use any fertilizer either. I watered them almost daily from late June to late August, but the soil dried before next watering. Hops are pretty hard to kill once they're established, so just give them a spot in the sun, something tall to climb, and water, and they'll do fine.

Any further information on this subject? Should it be a mixer or all of one versus the other? I want to plant today or tomorrow but need some insight.

Thanks

Black dirt and sheep crap is what I use, then I put some composted manure on during the summer. My first year hops went 18 feet. This year they are about 4 to 5 feet and we haven't had two warm days in a row yet.

Pat

i went for the quick and easy route...organic top soil from Lowes...$130 per 40# bag. it does not have any other seeds that might germinate (which might be the case from some manure) and i can treat with fertilizer as i see fit. I really don't think it matters too terribly much just remember to put a layer of mulch on top to help keep some moisture in the dirt. whatever you choose, it sounds like watering is the most important element followed closely by sunlight.

Back