planting rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuzzCraft

Reaction score
A couple of my rhizomes don't have any of the little white buds to indicate which side goes up. Any way to determine the best way to lay them in this situation? I kind of assume the shoots, if any develop, will just find their way, but any input is appreciated.

Thx.

they'll find their way, but if it doesn't have little budlike structures, the rhizome may end up not being viable, not sure. Hops seem to be very hardy, and I'd be surprised if an upside down rhizome suffered any problems at all.

The best way to start growing your own hops is by transplanting hop rhizomes (or cuttings) in the spring when they can be shipped and stored well. We recommend planting at least 2 rhizomes. Commercially, growers will plant up to 5 rhizomes per hill.

They wont grow upside down. look at the root carefully the most rounded side of the clump should go up Glen

They wont grow upside down. look at the root carefully the most rounded side of the clump should go up Glen

Wow, i never would have expected... i remembered from biology that geotropism automatically orients the stem up and the roots down.

Learn something new every day.

My Willemette rhizome had no shoots and roots on all sides when it showed up. I basically just placed it in the ground and 10 days later I had a shoot...

This was based on what I had read here...the shoots will find their way up!

Unless obviously a top side , plant them horizontally. Hole needs to be about 8-12" across , I throw in a handful of potting soil , dust rhizome with rooting hormone , lay it horizontally 99% of the time, cover with more potting soil and fill hole up to a mound and tramp it down, mark it with plant marker and a bamboo stake, water well.

Back