planting rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pingi

Reaction score
I got 2 rhizomes in from LHBS. Is there any special way to plant them other than sticking them in some dirt? Is there an up or down side?

I got 2 rhizomes in from LHBS. Is there any special way to plant them other than sticking them in some dirt? Is there an up or down side?

Horizontal about 3-4 inches below Ground. Try and get shoots up and root down if you can, if you can't no big deal they will find there way.

I read all over the internet on this, including the info that was sent from FreshHops. I saw everything from 3-4 to 1". I ended up planting horizontal at 2". We'll see what happens.

Good Luck!

Mike

I planted 2 of mine horizontal, and 1 vertical. They are all sprouting, so it doesn't really matter.

Strangely, the rhizomes I got from Freshops had no sprouts or roots. Just looked like twigs. But the ones I got from my LHBS a couple weeks later had nice root and sprouts sticking out. In fact, I replaced one of my Cascades that had zero activity after two weeks with one from the LHBS that had someobvious growth.

My guess is that my LHBS got their hops from the same place I did, but as they took delivery later than I, theirs were more developed.

It also simply depends on which rhizome you get. I ordered two Northern Brewer rhizomes from freshops, one had a few short buds on it and the other just had the little nubs where the buds would form... the first one is going strong already but the second one is taking it's sweet time.

Rhizomes may or may not be coming out of dormancy when you get them. It's been really cold and wet up here, so I suspect any rhizome from Freshops would still be dormant. Only three of my hops have shoots so far, and they are all 3-4 years old.

to be honest..... usually doesn't matter when you order. It just "random" picks... probably more or less who u are. I ordered at same time last year.... some were amazing killer and others werent.

_MG_6005small.jpg

from 08

mine all sprouted out of ground within 2 weeks of planting from deer something out that way. All my 2nd year's came out of ground early march.

Back