Planting Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundaybrewingco

Reaction score
I have a question regarding the actual planting of the hops. Does it matter which way the root is actually planted in the ground. I bought 2 cascade hop roots from my LHBS and the guy told me to plant them horizontally, about 4 inches down. Does that sound right?

hmm...my instructions from Thyme Garden said plant vertically and 1" down. I guess some more research or waiting for more posts is in order for you.

Mostly heard 1" down, however plants usually know which end is up and the shoots will seek the light and the roots will head down no matter how you plant them. Hops seem to be pretty hardy and as long as you don't drown them or starve them for water they should grow like weeds. A good fertilizer will help!

Rule for most plantings are about 2-3 times size ..deep.... ie in this case about 2" deep , horizontal is best, dust with rooting hormone for good results.
4" will also work , but the crown will eventually be at the surface, so well covered below at least 1" works fine.

I dig a small hole about 1.5 length of rhizome, all the rhizomes I am about to plant have been sprayed lightly with water and then put into a bag with some rooting hormone to dust them (just lightly), I then use a large hand of miracle gro soil in base , plant rhizome onto that and add another handful on top, then fill hole with rest of std soil, then - very important compact the soil, I stand on the place I have just planted. Last I cover the new planting with mulch and then water well.

New shoots within a week to 10 days at this time of year.

Note because we have clay, we have worked our soil with lots of organic material to break it up, so when planting I make sure the soil around the hole does NOT have too much clay.

I planted a few vertical and a few horizontal last year and they all came up and had a comparable amount of growth, I doubt it really matters which way you bury them as long as it is not too deep. Mine were 2-4" down.

+50 if you can't get hops to grow - you're not ever going to grow anything.

LOL. We (SWMBO and I) cannot keep house plants alive. This year my hops didn't make an appearance until this weekend. I was sure I killed them. Hops are currently the only plant I haven't actively killed by trying to keep it alive.

So far I do not see any growth coming through. The weather in Philadelphia has been a little odd. 70-75 degrees one day, 45 the next, then back to 70 degrees... so I don't know. Hopefully I will see some sprouts coming up soon (if they arent dead..)

I planted mine a week ago today and they haven't come up yet. I planted them according to the instructions that came with them...abt 4" down and horizontal. Hopefully by the end of the week I will see something.

I just planted a bunch of em today. Started with some that had been transplanted so I know they grow in Michigan. I put down Tetnang (sp?), nuggets, centenial, cascade, columbus and a couple of others. The Tet is already 2 feet long in a starter bucket and training well. I'm mostly tying strings to my deck to get the bines going. I planted them South and East exposure. Seems to be my best bet for sunlight. Any advice any veterans have for exposure?
Any idea what kind of height I can expect in year one?

I just planted some Mt. Hood and Magnum in Michigan today as well. My fence is about 4 feet high which is probably not enough but I was wondering if anyone had success weaving up and down on a chain link, as opposed to shooting straight up on a line?

I just planted some Mt. Hood and Magnum in Michigan today as well. My fence is about 4 feet high which is probably not enough but I was wondering if anyone had success weaving up and down on a chain link, as opposed to shooting straight up on a line?

I've seen some successful hop pictures of running a line along a 6 ft fence and training the bines horizontally. This year for a couple extra plants I had (no room on the trellis) I've put a small 4 ft trellis near them and I'm thinking of topping the bines on the one, and the other I'll try to weave up and down. We'll see if I get any harvest from either one.

Planting vertically means you'll have deeper roots sooner, but by the end of the first season; it's a wash.

Back