Planting Cuttings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
This spring I took some Rhizomes from my second year cascade and Chinook plants. The cascade sprouted but the Chinook didn't. So after the original plants grew and the main bines were strung up and I had to start trimming the new shoots, I put the cuttings in potting soil and kept them wet. At first they looked like they were going to die and some did. But a few started new growth and are doing well. I know I probably wont get anything from them this year but I'm hoping that the roots will develop and give me plants next year.

Starting from cuttings yields about 50% sucess rate.

Toss those same cut bines into a composter and you'll have a ball of hops.

By cuttings are you talking Rhisome cuttings (normal) or, bine cuttings (not normal)?

Bine cuttings. The ones that come up after you string up the main bines. They just keep on coming up and you half to beep cutting them back so might as well plant them to see if they'll grow.

the underground portions of the shoots you are making 'cuttings' from would eventually turn into rhizomes (or at least have some buds on them) if you were to leave them in the ground. i've started new plants in this manner quite a few times.

the underground portions of the shoots you are making 'cuttings' from would eventually turn into rhizomes (or at least have some buds on them) if you were to leave them in the ground. I've started new plants in this manner quite a few times.

So starting this early, they have a chance to make it next year?

sure, they'll grow some this year but not much. next year you'll have a nice little crown that should take off like a rocket.

The cuttings I have done are all from the bine. They are about two months removed from being cut and are about 5'-6' in height. I'm sure they would have had better growth but I originally placed about 6-7 cuttings into two 6" pots to start them out, them later divided them up to be transplanted. I think the added stress of the transplant slowed them for about week. Propagating from existing plants isn’t hard at all and you can really grow your stock fast this way in addition to separating rhizomes. To purchase the stock I created with cuttings would have cost about $60, but this was also a fun challenge.

The cuttings I have done are all from the bine. They are about two months removed from being cut and are about 5'-6' in height. I'm sure they would have had better growth but I originally placed about 6-7 cuttings into two 6" pots to start them out, them later divided them up to be transplanted. I think the added stress of the transplant slowed them for about week. Propagating from existing plants isn’t hard at all and you can really grow your stock fast this way in addition to separating rhizomes. To purchase the stock I created with cuttings would have cost about $60, but this was also a fun challenge.

This is a perfect example of how easy hops are to grow. You took part of the plant that most growers would toss and used it to propagate. I've done this myself with great success. It hit home tonight when I went to the compost bin(which I haven't turned in two weeks) and pulled potato plants growing from the peels that I tossed in there:cross:.

Cuttings work great it is about 50% if u neglect them like I do. I ran out of Rhizomes for a friend and he has 6000 started cut from my un wraped growth.I just put them in moist ground and they are amazing the tops will did on some then i pull them up and everyplace there is a leaf is sending up a shoot and the bines are rooting Cheers Glen

Latest posts

Back