Planning on brewing 10 gal - Question about my kettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
Well, some how I forgot that if I move to all-grain 10 gallon batches, i'd have to buy a bigger kettle.

My one is 7.5 gallons. Are there any kettles out there for doing 10 gallon batches?

I might have to only make 5 gallon batches for now. I bought two 10 gal coolers and converted them. In the Midwest supplies DVD they did an all-grain session which I enjoyed. But they went and did a 10 gallon batch.

Are there any cheap places to get a big kettle? Otherwise I might have to wait till my birthday. :p

I have a friend who's the vice-president of a fraternity.

What tool would you use to open up a keg?

Interesting idea. Never thought about it.:rockin:

Wow, I looked at the keggle conversion video.

I dont have the tools to make that. 12 gallons of wort would be heavy. I dont think a keggle would work unless it has a spigot like that one.

:fro:

the_bird said:
If you can find one, get a keg and cut the top off.

britishbloke said:
I have a friend who's the vice-president of a fraternity.

What tool would you use to open up a keg?

Interesting idea. Never thought about it.

If you can find one legally that is. It is considered theft if you take a keg that the brewery still owns. You need to find one that they no longer use and have sold or are selling. You can also look for a pre-made keggle that a lot of home brew stores and internet sites sell.

Angle grinder is the second-best tool (after a plasma cutter). I have the $40 4" Ryobi model from the Depot. Take three or four passes around with a cutting wheel and you're done (if it's your first time with an angle grinder, practice on something else first).

britishbloke said:
I dont have the tools to make that. 12 gallons of wort would be heavy. I dont think a keggle would work unless it has a spigot like that one.

I second the_bird's angle grinder recommendation. Works great and even a dufus like myself can git 'er dun.

And you can use a keggle w/out a ball valve attached. I think a few around here do, although a ball valve does make things easier. After it's cooled (assuming you're using an immersion chiller) then you can siphon it into your primary instead of lifting and pouring. If you us a CFC, then you would have to use a copper or SS racking cane or high-temp tubing to start the siphon. Don't stick a plastic racking cane into boiling wort - it'll melt. Ask me how I know. ;)

Lil' Sparky said:
Don't stick a plastic racking cane into boiling wort - it'll melt. Ask me how I know. ;)
You would think they would have made them out of "high temp" plastic. I made the same mistake.
As for the cutting the top off the keg I use a jig saw with a fine tooth metal blade. The blades last for two or three kegs. And yes you need a spout, that would be crazy to lift 10 gals of wort. Whats good for the hole is a stepdrill(35.00 @ grainger)
My crazy drunkin beer guy has them converted for $50.00 at some small job shop. Maybe you could find one of them.
:mug:

Well, I dont think I could find a welder to help me.

I'm a city boy. Maybe I might just wait and save up for this kettle: http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15441

Its a 14 gallon kettle with the thermometer and ball valve.

Price is 195 bucks. Are there any other more affordable places to buy one of these things?

Or is this a bad one to buy? Its the popular choice, whatever that really means.:drunk:

It took me 20 minutes yesterday... Sawzaw w/ a metal blade, and a grinder.

britishbloke said:
12 gallons of wort would be heavy. I dont think a keggle would work unless it has a spigot like that one.

:fro:
I use a keg and I don't have a spigot. No need to lift and/or pour. I just use my racking cane. It's just a bigger version of your current kettle.

I looked around the recycle places and found a keg for $20 (scrape ss price) then cut the top off with dremel tool (aprox. 8 cutting disc's) then brewed and used a siphon with a cheap ( $2.50) that fits on the end of the racking cane I got from my local brew shop. Worked great! You will want to wirlpool 1st.
Note: I cooled my wort before I siphoning with my plastic racking cane.

I have been wanting to make one myself I have had an old keg in my garage for a few years. The keg has a black plastic coating anyone know how to remove this?

Cheesefood said:
You wanna repost a picture of that beauty?
EDIT: Here's BierMuncher's Sawzall attempt.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=262158&postcount=1

:)

Do you guys think a saber/jig saw would do a better job? I could see a sawzall getting away from you the blades are thin & warp easy. Let me state that the sawzall is one of my favorite tools but mainly for demolition! It also sounds like this could become a real job with a dremel. Drilling holes every few inches as a guide would seem to be a huge advantage.

I use a jig saw and a grinder on( only legal kegs )like all of us I'm sure and it works good. Why buy when you can make thats part of the fun of the hobbie for me.

fa1321tx said:
Do you guys think a saber/jig saw would do a better job? I could see a sawzall getting away from you the blades are thin & warp easy. Let me state that the sawzall is one of my favorite tools but mainly for demolition!

Whaaaaat????

A better job than this?????

Keggle_3.JPG

She ain't pretty...but 6 ten-gallon batches in a row and I'll take her... :)

Latest posts

Back