Planning my firts all grain brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt81

Reaction score
Hello

I have some questions before starting my first all grain brew.

My plan is to use BIAB and sparge water. I want to get 6 gal (23L) into the fermentor (low gravity < 1.050 recipe). I will use 13,2 gal (50L) kettle and start mashing with about 6,6 gal (25L). After mashing I want to hit 8,2 gal (31L) before I start boiling. I have read a lot of topics and 8,2 gal 60 min boil will leave me abaout 6 gal of wort. According to the practice I can adjust my volumes in the future.

Does it look reasonable plan and volumes?

Also - if I'll finish with too less wort, is it OK just to add pure (boiled?) water into the fermentor to reach the 6 gal target ? Thats regular when doing kit recipes.

The alternative way is to use full volume mash with no sparging, but then I have to use more grains.

The concept is sound. I find I only boil off a little over a gallon in a 60min boil so you might wind up with more final volume than desired. Otherwise the process looks good. You will only figure out your boil off rate by repeated attempts. For 6 gallons of wort in the fermenter I'd shoot for closer to 7.5-7 gallons per boil but that's on my system. Your results may vary.

And yes you can add more water to top off if you don't reach your desired volume. Just be sure to account for a lower gravity when adding water as it will dilute your FG when topping off. But as long as you plan your batch for a specific volume/gravity topping off should land you around the FG You're looking for.

Thanks for the reply. After adding more pure water after boiling (if needed ever) I should get the OG and FG as recipe says, because the final volume is in accordance with recipe. During boiling only water gets lost, not sugars and hops....so I just put the water back...Hope it makes sense.

Latest posts

Back