Planning for the future...aging temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Since the temperature outside is starting to rise, I live in an apt building, and only have a window a/c. I am worried about high fermentation temps and high aging temperatures. Are there any suggestions that you have.

More about my situation. I live in the mountains of NC. The temp ranges in the summer usually 60F-80F. I age in my pantry and ferment in a corner of my kitchen.

I'm probably worrying about nothing but I just want to plan ahead.

As far as aging is concerned, temperature isn't as crucial. It's better to age cool but won't destroy your brew if you don't. Most off flavors occur during fermentation, which brings us to fermentation temps. You really need to keep your eye on your temp during fermentation, especially when it's at it's most vigorous stage. This is when most off flavors will develop. The easiest way to keep your brew in the proper temp range when it's hot is to put it in a tub of water with a towel wrapped around the carboy and a fan blowing on it and/or frozen water bottles in the water. If you don't allow your brew to ferment in the proper temp range (low 60's to low 70's, depending on the strain) you will have issues. I hope that helps.

If your rent includes electricity or you're willing to pay for another appliance just get a mini fridge for your carboy or ale pail. This time of year is the perfect time to start looking as college/university kids are writing their final exams and many of them have mini fridge for their rooms. Some students will keep them but a lot would sooner get rid of them and just buy a new one next year.

Last year I didn't brew, so when I walked by a STACK of them outside a residence building on campus I didn't bother taking one. I'll be taking a measuring tape with me to campus over the next couple of weeks for sure!

Finding a cooler spot to brew will reduce the amount of energy the mini fridge has to draw in order to maintain the right temperature so I'd suggest asking friends and family who have basements if you could shack your brews up there all summer. I'll be brewing at my girlfriends basement apartment and although she hasn't asked for anything in return, it gives me an excuse to brew here a batch of Apfelwein that we can share!

Back